• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x Leica/Swarovski/Zeiss Bino`s! (1 Viewer)

aguiaimperial

Dear all,

I have the possibility to buy a new pair of bino`s, and big doubt`s concerning my next 30 years birding (I hope!). Do someone can help me in the pursuit of THE BEST 10x BINO`S?
Leica`s, Swarovski or Zeiss, wich are the best?
Can the Zeiss 10x40 Victory, be compared with the other two?
Where can I see some reviews, concerning this bino´s?
Do someone know the lowest prices in UK, for this three bino´s?

Thank you very much for your kind attention,
Hugo Blanco

Welcome to Birdforum - the most addictive place on the net.

Just to show how different people can be I tried Swaro and Leica side by side and one of the reasons I bought Leica was because I thought that they had truer colour.

The fact is all these bins are excellent. In the UK suppliers have field days where you can try bins out- don't know if you have that option in Portugal. It is worth spending some time when you are spending this amount of money. But trust your eyes and buy the ones that give you the right "feel"

Good luck what ever you do.

Hugo: I believe the next edition (June) of Bird Watching magazine will review these bins, though they might restrict themselves to 8x only. Even if that is the case, you will gain something from the reviews of the build and handling if not the optics.

Anyway, which is best is a personal thing.

Optically many peopke consider the Nikon HG and Leica to be the best. A very close second are the Zeiss and the Swarovski. Many people rate the Swarovski as overall best i.e. the best combination of handling, build and optics. Zeiss are the lightest at ~700g (Swarovski ~800g, Leica ~900g, Nikon ~1000g). In my view weight IS important. Many people don't like the feel of the Zeiss. The Nikon have the best shape and balance (in my opinion) but are a bit too heavy for prolonged use. The Leica are nice though the shape is not as good as some.

I would also check out the Nikon 10x32 HG. To me they looked brighter than other competing products. They are smaller and lighter than a full sized binocular bit not as sharp or bright.

Last edited:
Leif.
Do you work for a bino manufacturer? Can I throw a spanner in the works regarding transmission. A binocular with a mirrored roof prism will normally give a total light transmission of between 83-86% as most of the loss is as a result of the mirrored surface, and you have a total of 6 light movements inc enter and exit through the prism. A binocular with a non mirrored roof prism (Zeiss Victory) gives a total light transmission of 90% as you only have 4 movements inc enter & exit and no mirror surface. A Porro prism (good one) will give a TLT of 90%, 5 movements and a more defined 3D image at closer distances.

Mak: How do you mean? No I don't work for any binocular manufacturer and have no vested interest in promoting any. (Not quite true. I am selling a used Nikon 8x32 HG.)

Regarding light transmission, have you compared the Nikon HG 8x32 with the equivalent Leica/Zeiss/Swarovski offerings? I have. Side by side the Nikon seems brighter. I guess the advice as always is use your own eyes to decide.

The Leica apparantly have noticeable vignetting.

You can also go to the Better View Desired web site and he will say the same kind of thing to me. Except that he also claims the Nikon 8x32 HG are sharper than the Leica and I don't see this. The Nikon are no sharper than the Leica (or at least the difference is too small for me to see) and are noticeably less sharp than a full sized binocular.

FWIW I found that the Nikon 8x32 HG was as bright as my cheap Nikon Egret 8x40 bins whereas a Zeiss 8x30 was noticeably darker.

Last edited:
Hugo,
I really think that you should add the Nikon 10x42HG's to your list to compare them with the others that you mention. Binnies are a real personal thing but in my opinion and my eyes, and it is only my opinion and my eyes but the Nikons are the best binnies ever built. I know a lot of folk will disagree but that is my thought.

Colin

By the way, when I said the Nikon 10x32 were much brighter than the others, I meant compared with other 10x32's.

Aguiaimperial,

Which ever top of the line bino's you go with, you will not be dissapointed. Try them all and go with the ones that suit you best. Check out the 8x versions as well, I originally set out to buy 10x42's and ended up chosing 8x42's (Leica). Leica was a personal choice for me but optically all were superb.

I'm rather confused by some of the previous comments in this thread especially the following:

"The Leica apparantly have noticeable vignetting consistent with undersized prisms"

Vignetting is not a phrase I have ever come across when talking about bins, (do you mean "field of view" Leif). And I certainly dont think any of these makers uses "undersized prisms"

Paul

Paul: I was referring to the Leica 8x32. According to one review (Better View Desired) they display vignetting i.e. the outer parts of the field are slightly but noticeably darker than the centre. This is most clearly seen when viewing a uniform subject such as a blue sky. I am not convinced it exists in the Leica 8x32, but one cause of vignetting is (I think) prisms that are a bit too small.

Anyway, you made some good points. I too prefer 8x over 10x: less shake, just as much detail (in my hands anyway), wider field of view, greater depth of field, less eye strain. But it is a personal choice.

Lief

Thats a new one on me. I've Never tried any of the 8x32's, must try and have a look through a pair to see if it's true.

Any owners of these out there like to comment?

Paul

Leif said:
Hugo: I believe the next edition (June) of Bird Watching magazine will review these bins, though they might restrict themselves to 8x only. Even if that is the case, you will gain something from the reviews of the build and handling if not the optics.
Anyway, which is best is a personal thing.
Optically many peopke consider the Nikon HG and Leica to be the best. A very close second are the Zeiss and the Swarovski. Many people rate the Swarovski as overall best i.e. the best combination of handling, build and optics.

If it's in Birdwatching magazine, I can tell you now what will be rated as the top bino..... it will have a little red dot on it ;)

Use your own eyes to decide what's best.... reviewers can often have ulterior motives and subconscious (or conscious) brand loyalties.
Andy

My first comments here, please be patient with my poor English :)

I have myself a 17-year-old Zeiss 10x40 BGAT that still rocks. I have also a brand new Nikon 8x32 HG (really brilliant!)

In my opinion, one must test the binos in practice. I had an opportunity to test in nature all the major bino brands and sizes side by side. For my taste Nikon, Swarovski and Leica were the best in optics. Nikon 10x42 is a bit heavy, but the design makes it "lighter". It is the choice of a glass-wearer. Swaro 10x42 is the all-around number one. I don't like the brick-alike design of Leicas.

After all, I chose the 8x magnification and the compact 32 mm version as my new instrument. Swarovski 8,5x42 was close...but this happened. Swaro has a better depth of field but Nikon a little better colour fidelity (in my opinion).

Tervetuloa Houndie!

I don't think you should worry about your English, it sounds perfect to me. Puhut hyvä englantia!

E

Thank You Edward - another Nordic here!

Two more subjective arguments: I like the 8,5x42 Swarovski more than the 10x42 - and my new Nikon above them both!

Yesyes, I know myself birding in places that are the most eastern part of the western Europe (well, before Estonia joins the EC).

However, birding is a growing hobby here. The quality (!?) of the birders is pretty high. I´ve noticed some Finnish members here in Birfdforum - and seen also our beloved magazine Alula mentioned...

Summer is coming. In a couple of weeks I am waiting this year's first Booted Warbler and Yellow-breasted Bunting - rarities here also. Again I'll meet several British and German birders here euphoric about the eastern bird species...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back