• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of sketchbook do you use? (1 Viewer)

colleenc

As a beginner right now all kinds of books have sketches and watercolors in them, some cheap spirals, some nicer, but I'd love to have one with good enough paper to do watercolor on along with drawings, that doesn't wrinkle up or fall apart under my brush, hopefully not terribly expensive, but I'm willing to consider anything.

What do you use,
why do you like it
what is it by brand
where do you get yours?

Thanks a lot, if a thread already exists, please post it

Colleen

I use any sketchbook that comes along, art shops in France are appalling - at the moment the big artistic craze is 'le scrapbooking européen' - which means art shops are making space for all the tat required for that. Sketchbooks are sometimes no more than school exercise books or paper put onto a clipboard, but that can be fiddly. My favourite sketchbook paper is Daler Rowney cartridge, it will accept a wash or two.

I don't know about paper for watercolours (never got on with it myself), but I get the same problem as Nick - I can only find a couple of arty-type shops in Bern and the stock is limited.
The paper I use most often for pencil drawings is my old W.H. Smiths' pad. Nice smooth paper so you can get fine detail in there with the pencils. I tried different papers for pencil work, but anything that hasn't a smooth surface tends to soften the lines too much for me.

I have been using Fabriano Venezia A4 sketchbooks which contain smooth 'Accademia' paper (heavyweight - 200gsm). They're stitched which means handling them can be a tad cumbersome in the field (obviously spiral bound books fold flat into a nice tablet) - but the stitched job means one can work across the spread - useful if one judges the planned drawing incorrectly and requires extra space to scrawl into.
Daler hardback books are fine to use too, but the paper's a squeeze thinner.

thanks Nick, trying to translate some of "otherside of the pond" words, is cartridge paper the same thing as typing or computer paper here?

We are blessed with so many art stores and internet discount places in the US, that I'm trying to not have to test out everything to find what I want, I'd like a bound book over a spiral, like the 2 page format. I'd like to find just one kind and then settle, so I don't have to keep adjusting for the surface, and concentrated on the drawing and painting instead.

another question Tim, what size is A4, over here things in inches, so like computer paper is 8.5 x11" if you know how many cm to an inch...I wish we had switched to metric measurements in the 60's when there was a push to do so...now we'll never have such sensible system.

oh I just found it ....
A4 is the same as our 8.5 x11 inches... and A5 is smaller 5.5 x8.5

Thanks

Last edited:
A4 is slightly taller and thinner than American paper sizes at approx 11.5" x 8.25". (Ooops just read your edit!)

I tend to use the hardback stitched Daler Rowney A4 books. They fit nicely into my waistcoat pocket and are able to take quite a bashing because of the hard cover. As Tim says it's possible to work over the centre fold too, and I frequently have to! The disadvantage is the price but they're not as pricey as the Fabriano ones.

Mike

thanks Mike, that brand is hard to find here, but not impossible, I'll look for it, and I have a surprise for all of you, an new product, I'm working it up now when I'm done I'll start a thread for it...

I looked and it's available from dick blick at about $11, just a little less than the Fabriano, but it says 60 pound, which is very light, how does it do for wet washes?

Last edited:
The type I use isn't too bad but it's 150gsm so it's heavier than whatever you're finding.
The info on the back says; Daler Rowney 150gsm acid free cartridge paper and on a barcode sticker it says; Ebony Portrait A4

It cockles a bit but it's not unacceptable. There was a thread on here somewhere in which a lot of us posted our sketching set-ups which may be useful for a look.

Mike

The type I use isn't too bad but it's 150gsm so it's heavier than whatever you're finding.
The info on the back says; Daler Rowney 150gsm acid free cartridge paper and on a barcode sticker it says; Ebony Portrait A4

It cockles a bit but it's not unacceptable. There was a thread on here somewhere in which a lot of us posted our sketching set-ups which may be useful for a look.

Mike

..also using the A4 Daler Rowney as you are Mike. Have also been using A3 sized pads as well over the last year, a bit of a pain to carry about, but love the bigger area and being able to rest my forearm and hand on the page....
In the past have used all kinds of sketchpads, mostly A4 in size, also use loose paper sheets in conjuction with a bulldog Clipped A4 foldover pad, more or less like a book cover.

I use Bluebell Artcoe 150gm ring bound A3 down to A5.

Not expensive and I can take out and file what I want to keep.

I get it on line from SAA.

Bah, good art supplies get harder to find all the time -- my favourite art store (thankfully not five minutes' drive from me, and far better than the big franchise stores) recently relocated to a much smaller location, and their selection unfortunately was downgraded along with it. Haven't been able to find my kraft paper sketchbooks for months (grrr). And it would be nice if the bigger stores would carry SOMETHING other than Reeves and Derwents, which I abhor as drawing implements (I'm a little particular).

I recently picked up an Aquabee 'Super Deluxe' for doing some watercolour work in the field. Bit pricey, but holds water very well (barely any buckling, even with heavy washes). It's spiral bound, too.

Hi Jo,
I got one of those, after talking to the rep, it turns out, one side is drawing, one side is watercolor...if you feel the page one side is smoother good for pen ink and wash... I must be overdoing it, but mine is still buckling somewhat, so I'm still looking, maybe even take a bookmaking class and make my own.

I love Arches watercolor paper but they do not make a bound book....have now tried at least 8 different books, but not the rolls royce the Fabriano Venezia......

Colleen: A little late in responding. Just joined the forum. Check out "Robert Bateman" sketchbooks, sold by Daniel Smith Co. in Seattle. The paper is high quality 110 pound, heavier than nearly all other sketchbooks and takes watercolor fairly well if you don't get to carried away!!

went out and got the Bateman book, the paper is really nice, it buckles a bit when wet, but dries flat again....very nice, only it is spiral, so I'm still looking. His paper is 110# so what I want is that bound, which leads directly to the Fabriano Venezia

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back