• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conquest HD 8x42 - Zeiss will be providing new eyecups (1 Viewer)

Zeiss Conquest HD eyecups (longer eye relief)

So here are the new Conquest HD eyecups, pictured fully extended, in photo 1 the new cup is on the left hand side, the old one on the right.

The new cups are exactly the same as the old ones except the additional ER is a fraction over 1mm.

By way of comparison I've pictured a bino with long ER, both have the eyecups fully extended but not unscrewed.

I'd like to thank Gary Hawkins from ZEISS UK who took time out from his weekend to contact me out of the blue to say that the eyecups had arrived with him from Germany on Saturday and that he wanted to make sure that he had my correct delivery address. So thank you, Gary, that was very much appreciated.

No doubt it will all work out in the end !

Last edited:
I had heard so much about the Conquest ER that I really feared the worst when I got my 8x32's, but what I found was perfect ER, even with the eyecups on position one, very close to the ocular, as well as every stop farther out.

I've had almost no issues with the 8x32 HD's. It was the 8x42's that had most of the issues of ER for me. I'll have to call Zeiss USA and see if the new eyecups are available here. Much as I love Zeiss, their CS people could do a better job of following through. I've asked twice for a spare rainguard and have not had one sent out in what is now close to two months.

I had heard so much about the Conquest ER that I really feared the worst when I got my 8x32's, but what I found was perfect ER, even with the eyecups on position one, very close to the ocular, as well as every stop farther out.

I had a chance to try out all three Conquest HD's side by side last week at a trade fair. The only one I found troublesome was the 8x42 because the eyecups are too short for my eyes. The 10x42 and the 8x32 fit perfectly well. No problems at all. With the 8x42 I had to hold the binoculars a bit further from the eyes than I would have liked to. They're a couple of millimeters too short.

Hermann

After seeing the new cups in Samandag's post, I contacted Zeiss USA to ask whether they were now available. Karen, in Customer Service went and asked someone and came back on the phone stating they wouldn't be available until the week of Xmas at the earliest.

I also mentioned the request for the spare rainguard and she said she would take care of it. We'll see...

Has anyone received the new and improved eyecup yet?

Any further news and opinion would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

The new eyecups are leaving the factory now, allow a short while for processing and you should be getting good news very soon :t:.

Lee

Thank you for the replies gents.
I look forward to reading some appraisals of the new eyecup in due course.:news:

The new eyecups are leaving the factory now, allow a short while for processing and you should be getting good news very soon :t:.

Lee

The official word is that the UK have had the eyecups since November. Post 22 in this thread shows the new eyecups.

Mark Karn
Divisional Manager
Consumer Optics Division
Carl Zeiss Ltd

8x42 eyecups anyone?

Thank you for the replies gents.
I look forward to reading some appraisals of the new eyecup in due course.:news:

I just got a set of the Conquest HD 8x42's for $560 (used once) on ebay. Heck of a deal, but right off the bat I noticed a problem with the eyecups sticking and not providing enough eye relief for non-glasses--I get that black circle thing going on until I rest the eye-pieces on my forehead... I'd read a few consumer reviews on various optics sites online about this, but thought the complaints must be due to picky reviewers. I will check to see if Zeiss USA has eyecups available, but wondering if anyone has gotten theirs yet.

Last edited:
I just got a set of the Conquest HD 8x42's for $560 (used once) on ebay. Heck of a deal, but right off the bat I noticed a problem with the eyecups sticking and not providing enough eye relief for non-glasses--I get that black circle thing going on until I rest the eye-pieces on my forehead... I'd read a few consumer reviews on various optics sites online about this, but thought the complaints must be due to picky reviewers. I will check to see if Zeiss USA has eyecups available, but wondering if anyone has gotten theirs yet.

After a few days I'm getting used to using these COnquests, and they are impressive! I've figured out how to position my eyes in relation to the eyecups, and these have become the binos of preference for me. Still would be interested in hearing more about getting the updated eye cups.

After a few days I'm getting used to using these COnquests, and they are impressive! I've figured out how to position my eyes in relation to the eyecups, and these have become the binos of preference for me. Still would be interested in hearing more about getting the updated eye cups.

DFB... glad you're enjoying your Conquest HDs. I now have Conquest HD's in 8x32 and 10x42 and they are of consistent quality and character with each other, practically like twin brothers, and I am incredibly impressed with their magnificent quality of view. I think the Conquest HD is the Zeiss sweet spot and quite arguably the top choice in bins under $1600 or so...and you can get them for considerably less money than that.

DFB... glad you're enjoying your Conquest HDs. I now have Conquest HD's in 8x32 and 10x42 and they are of consistent quality and character with each other, practically like twin brothers, and I am incredibly impressed with their magnificent quality of view. I think the Conquest HD is the Zeiss sweet spot and quite arguably the top choice in bins under $1600 or so...and you can get them for considerably less money than that.

Yes, I got mine for $560 USD on ebay--super lucky, as I haven't seen them for under $850 or so, and because they're the newer model, this was the only used pair listed... Makes it even sweeter.

To follow-up, I got the new eyecups from Zeiss for my 8x32 HD's. They are a bit longer and when fully extended have solved the minor blackout issues I had with those binoculars. The 8x32's were better than the 8x42's but the new, longer length eyecups have eliminated the issue.

HOWEVER, they are still the absolutely horrible design of the originals and rotating them to the various detent positions remains quite difficult. The problem I had with the 8x42's where I had the eyecups actually separate and break is the same design as the replacement. The only fault with an otherwise brilliant line of bins but it's a major issue IMO.

CSG,

How does one go about getting the new eyecups, and do the old ones have to be returned?

Any word about when the new eyecups become standard on production units, like after a certain serial #?

CG

You can call Zeiss USA customer service and they'll send you out a pair at no charge. You'd have to ask Zeiss about the rest of it.

I must say, even though they are same same poor design as the old ones, when fully extended, they solved any blackout issues I was having with the 8x32's. I imagine, they will help with the 8x42's but won't completely solve the blackouts on those as the eyecups provided less relief than the 8x32's.

You can call Zeiss USA customer service and they'll send you out a pair at no charge. You'd have to ask Zeiss about the rest of it.

I must say, even though they are same same poor design as the old ones, when fully extended, they solved any blackout issues I was having with the 8x32's. I imagine, they will help with the 8x42's but won't completely solve the blackouts on those as the eyecups provided less relief than the 8x32's.

Hi CSG

Glad the new eyecups help with the 32s.

Your comment that the new eyecups will help the 42's but not necessarily cure the problem sort of assumes that the new eyecups are the same for both 32 and 42 and I am not at all sure this is the case.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back