• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (6 Viewers)

black red start

blACK RED START AT DUNDALK DOCKS
WAXWING AT GREENACRES

Attachments

• _MG_0569.jpg
    _MG_0569.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 88
  • _MG_0549.jpg
    _MG_0549.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 90
Thanks Derek - but it definitely isn't a Chaffinch,I will try and get a shot of it if I see it again (the head is jet black and the body alot redder than the Chaffinch and only noticed the white on the wing when in flight)

Hi mr hornblower
Male Stonechat probably. Coastal heath with a few bushes is their most likely habitat. A bit slighter and rounder looking than most finches. They will usually sit in the open and like to move between a few favourite bushes.
regards
Paul

Carrion crow at Carlingford yesterday - has anybody noticed tha lack of red throated divers and great northern divers this year? In past years there were regularly a few, sometimes a few tens between giles quay and carlingford lough but this year very thin on the ground.

daunting looking birds ......

I got a better look at him today and its a Bullfinch alright (male & in mint condition) and Mrs Bullfinch with him,they seem to be biting bits off the branch they are on just below the new bud - maybe a kind of sap ? they are in the trees/bushes at the farthest corner by the small field behind the Smarthomes offices in the Finbar industrial est.
Also there is a Kestrel & Goshawk/sparrowhawk in action around there and beyond the trees over (i'd say the Blackrock golf coarse) and have seen a grey Heron resting in the rough,by the boundry wall of the Loakers housing est. where the ground is low and there is a small pond of water !

Thanks for your replies lads !

I got a better look at him today and its a Bullfinch alright (male & in mint condition) and Mrs Bullfinch with him,they seem to be biting bits off the branch they are on just below the new bud - maybe a kind of sap ? they are in the trees/bushes at the farthest corner by the small field behind the Smarthomes offices in the Finbar industrial est.
Also there is a Kestrel & Goshawk/sparrowhawk in action around there and beyond the trees over (i'd say the Blackrock golf coarse) and have seen a grey Heron resting in the rough,by the boundry wall of the Loakers housing est. where the ground is low and there is a small pond of water !

Thanks for your replies lads !

Bullfinches eat buds and blossoms at this time of the year, much to the consternation of gardeners - they used to be legally shot for it!

There was a male long tailed duck displaying at seabank yesterday - though far out at sea.-

I find it confusing to work out whether Pied Wagtail or White Wagtail. I know Pied is the common one. This pale grey mostly fellow is coming regularly to my back door. I also saw two Wagtails beside each other in the Linnet field as I call it recently and I know they were quite different which has make me look a little more closely at them.
Also is it madness to even think I saw two Sedge Warblers already but they are an odd looking small bird with such flat head and no neck.

Attachments

• february 086.jpg
    february 086.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 78
  • february 091.jpg
    february 091.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 57
  • february 087.jpg
    february 087.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 74
  • february 083.jpg
    february 083.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 70
That is a pied wagtail but it is a juvenile so that is why it looks so faded.

I don't think you'd be seeing sedge warblers as of yet as it's far to early for them! Maybe in 3 or four weeks time they'll be about especially by the coast in the reed beds....

That is a pied wagtail but it is a juvenile so that is why it looks so faded.

I don't think you'd be seeing sedge warblers as of yet as it's far to early for them! Maybe in 3 or four weeks time they'll be about especially by the coast in the reed beds....
Thanks well I know where there is plently of high Reed grass in three different areas near rivers beside here where the Reed Buntings I have are probably coming from so will watch for any of the Sedge Warblers too. What I believe are the Teddy bear Twites (as I call them) are small birds always fidgeting and moving their heads from side to side and such unbelievable restless birds. Am I correct in thinking Twites are always fidgeting nervous birds but so lovely and I have two only with mad pink almost through them. I know the female Reed Buntings now finally as also striking pretty small birds. I wonder why they were named Twite and is it because of something like twittering all the time I am guessing.

Three of four buzzards soaring over the Ardee Road outside town on Sunday morning. Any idea what the dropping is? It was on a bridge on the Ramparts near where it flows under Ardee Road.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 77
Three of four buzzards soaring over the Ardee Road outside town on Sunday morning. Any idea what the dropping is? It was on a bridge on the Ramparts near where it flows under Ardee Road.

Droppings look like otter spraints - if not washed away by the rain, go back and smell it - it has a not unpleasant musky odeur. You can see that it is composed mainly of fish bones and scales. Otters deposit on prominent places in their territory, often on top of a stone. Last summer around ardee bog I found dozens of spraints, testimony to a healthy population in the area. If you google "otter spraints" you can get some pics to compare.

Some people might be interested in seeing treecreepers - the grounds of the ballymascanlon hotel, on the tall conifers opposite the main house, is quite good. At this time of the year they call a lot (sounds like "srrriii" but very gentle)...a short clip of one is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/breffni/

Attachments

• treecreeper ballymascanlon march.jpg
    treecreeper ballymascanlon march.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 67
I did see loads of the lovely Redpolls in very tall Conifer trees on side of the woods here and also in Silver Birches too. The Treecreeper is more like a large creeper than a bird really. My daughters friend Cathy who lives in an appartment well into London city was telling me about listening to and watching often a Woodpecker through her open window tapping and tapping on a tree below. Imagine Woodpeckers in London ...............and she has put a peanut feeder out on the wall for him and he is using it of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back