• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Genesis 22 vs Germans Alpha Pocket (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
Recently I have tried different pocket binoculars, Olympus, Hawke, Celestron, Eschenbach ... all in 8X25 models, but none of them has fully convinced me, for one thing or another (mechanical failures and mediocre optical quality), I have also used some 8X32 model, but I really think that this model is not exactly pocket.
What I really look for is a good pocket binocular, that I can carry with me whenever I want, and anywhere, whether it's a nature walk or an urban walk ...
I noticed that recently they have released the Kowa Genesis 22, which a priori, looks like a good pocket binocular, right? But of course, as in price is very similar to the German alpha bino-pocket, I am left with the big question of which could go better for that purpose.
I like that size "22", it's a little bit more than those of 20 and something less than those of 25 .., like for example ..Ultravid 8X20 or Swaro 8X25, Zeiss Victory 8X25 ..
Have any of you been able to use both and establish a real comparison in terms of size-manageability and value for money?
I imagine that in terms of optical and mechanical quality ... they will all be very similar, in terms of price they are ..
Very kind for your information.
Wachi

I looked at pocket binos last fall... I didn't find any of them "convincing", and wouldn't expect to. I was asking too much. If I really wanted to carry something in my pocket I would lower my expectations accordingly, and just think of it as something to use, better to have than nothing, and enjoy whatever you can see with it. I've resolved to carry my 32mm more often instead, since I genuinely like it, even if it looks a bit geeky. (It's sort of my "pocket" glass now anyway, now that I've got a 56! :)

I happen to have compared the Genesis to all the alphas you mention, and to some „subprime“ models.
I found the Genesis very nicely finished, mechanically superb and optically very good, esp. the wide field of view (it leads the pack with its 131m) impressed me.
For me, the Victory and the Swaro may even be a tad sharper than the Genesis; whether CA is better corrected in the Genesis with its Prominar lenses is debatable, all of them show a little bit of CA. The Swaro is about the same price as the Kowa, the Zeiss is (at some shops substantially) more expensive, and as always, the question of course is whether the optical difference is worth such price difference.
You have not mentioned the Zeiss Terra 8x25. It sports ED glass, is made in Japan, performs very well (with 119m same field of view as the Swaro), better than other subprime models, and is substantially cheaper than the Genesis. It is not as nicely built and finished as the latter, though, and early models had some quality issues (stiffness of central focusing, loose hinges).
My personal „ranking“: despite the price, the Victory is my preferred model (best optics in my eyes, and I prefer the single hinge design), the Genesis would come next because of its build quality and wide field of view, the Swaro comes third (excellent optics and mechanics, but narrower field of view), the Terra would finish the list but might get a special „value for money“ medal. But I am sure you will get different opinions from other forum members.

Canip

Last edited:
The Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 is outstanding and replaced my Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD. Another pair to consider is the new Swarovski 8x30 CL B. Neither is as compact as the Kowa 8x22 or the Leica 8x20, but the Zeiss are close,

I would recommend the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P. Best pocket binocular I have found.

Dennis
I was so impressed by your praise and recommendations of the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 (;)) that I have now got one to replace my old Victory Compact 8x20. First impressions are excellent and I will do a mini-review (pocket-sized) in a few weeks when I have had more experience of it.

Lee

Dennis
I was so impressed by your praise and recommendations of the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 (;)) that I have now got one to replace my old Victory Compact 8x20. First impressions are excellent and I will do a mini-review (pocket-sized) in a few weeks when I have had more experience of it.

Lee
Lee. How is the eye cup length on the new Victory's 8x25? I found them to be too short for the eye relief.

Lee. How is the eye cup length on the new Victory's 8x25? I found them to be too short for the eye relief.

Absolutely fine Dennis and with some binos I need an o-ring under the eyecup if it doesn't have a stop just above fully down, but not with these. And Troubadoris has tried them out and found no problems with them either.

Lee

Lee
Any chance you could get your hands on the Genesis and do a comparison?
Steve

Sorry Steve

I would if I could but Kowa binos are rare round here. If you are not in a hurry I could do a comparison at the August Bird Fair but thats 5 months away so I guess that would be too long to wait.

However I note that Canip has already posted some remarks comparing them and I would certainly trust his opinion although of course bino-buying in the end comes down to personal preferences.

It would not be surprising if your final choice between these two comes down to a preference for the Zeiss's single hinge arrangement or Kowa's double hinge. I have had a bad experience with a Leica double-hinge pocket model and found the Zeiss single-hinge a blessed relief but I wouldn't let that put me off trying other double hinge pocket binos and I am a big fan of Kowas since I have a Genesis 8x33.

Let me know if you would like me to do a comparo at Bird Fair.

Cheers Lee

In all honesty Lee I probably have enough binos to "get by" until August and either pair is a want rather than a need. On the other hand i have a very keen ability to convince myself that a "want" is a "need". If I get a pair of pockets it would put me in the elite or foolish club of people who own ten pairs of binoculars.
Steve

I looked at pocket binos last fall... I didn't find any of them "convincing", and wouldn't expect to. I was asking too much. If I really wanted to carry something in my pocket I would lower my expectations accordingly, and just think of it as something to use, better to have than nothing, and enjoy whatever you can see with it. I've resolved to carry my 32mm more often instead, since I genuinely like it, even if it looks a bit geeky. (It's sort of my "pocket" glass now anyway, now that I've got a 56! :)

I walk around downtown all the time now with a bino harness and 32mm bins around my neck. I had to get over being self conscious because I got stared at and I've never seen another person in a town anywhere with binoculars around their necks. Often I see more birds and varied species on the streets of my little town than I do in our mature forests around here so I don't care if they stare. Sometimes I imagine I see a little envy in their eyes.:t:

Last edited:
I walk around downtown all the time now with a bino harness and 32mm bins around my neck. I had to get over being self conscious because I got stared at and I've never seen another person in a town anywhere with binoculars around their necks. Often I see more birds and varied species on the streets of my little town than I do in our mature forests around here so I don't care if they stare.

A short list of what I've missed better views of in the past, just walking around my neighborhood, would include bears (careful!), bobcat, juvenile bald eagle (twice), owl...

In all honesty Lee I probably have enough binos to "get by" until August and either pair is a want rather than a need. On the other hand i have a very keen ability to convince myself that a "want" is a "need". If I get a pair of pockets it would put me in the elite or foolish club of people who own ten pairs of binoculars.
Steve

OK Steve

I already have a 'to do' list for this year's Bird Fair so I will put you on the list and let you know what I think about them. I always visit Kowa anyway so its no trouble at all.
My Victory Pocket is an 8x so I will be comparing with Kowa 8x, OK?

Lee

Last edited:

Absolutely fine Dennis and with some binos I need an o-ring under the eyecup if it doesn't have a stop just above fully down, but not with these. And Troubadoris has tried them out and found no problems with them either.

Lee

Dennis .... Keep in mind that Lee views using his eye glasses where as you do not. I have yet to try a compact that has the ease of eye placement of a full size model when viewing without glasses. I doubt if that is possible considering the small diameter of the eye piece.

Dennis .... Keep in mind that Lee views using his eye glasses where as you do not. I have yet to try a compact that has the ease of eye placement of a full size model when viewing without glasses. I doubt if that is possible considering the small diameter of the eye piece.

Good point Bruce.
Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back