• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cabela's Krotos Dual HD 10x42 (1 Viewer)

cycleguy

I'm looking thru a Cabela's Optics catalog that arrived in my box today and noticed they have another house brand model referred to as the Krotos, and listed as a new item.

It is positioned between their top end (Instinct Euro HD) and low end (Intensity HD) binoculars and is only available in 10x42 and retails for $499.99.

No specs are provided, don't know why they do this; but marketing is pumping "dual extra-low-dispersion (ED) glass lenses".

I'm also seeing a Zeiss Victory Rangefinding Binocular for $3,299.99 (listed as a new item) which I wasn't aware of but appears to have been available well before now.

If I had $3,299.99 burning a hole in my pocket plus the extra needed for taxes, I'd probably get one!!!

CG

My initial guess would be that they are some sort of variation of Leupold. In the past many of the Cabela’s mid grade binoculars are clones of Leupolds made in the same factory in Japan. They usually are priced a little less and when on sale can be extremely good buys. My Cabela’s 8x32s are the same as Leupold Mojave and I bought them on closeout for less than $100. The design of the Krotos looks similar to the Leupold Pro Guide with the open bridge and diopter control on the focus wheel. The eye cups are different though and I don’t think the Leupolds have a magnesium body. If they are Japanese they should be very similar to the Leupolds. If they’re Chinese I’m not sure.

Was at Cabela's over the weekend picking up some supplies for the upcoming seasons. Stopped by the binocular display case but this binocular wasn't on display. I did look at some of the Leupold and noticed the lug to be similarly located near the end of the barrel. Upland probably has it correct.

CG

Very large eye cups probably would bother people who have a narrow IPD and a large nose bridge.

I have a wide IPD and very large nose bridge. And fairly deep set eyes. yea, I can't stand larger eye cups. I'm making do with the binocs I have now because they were affordable and the optics are superb. Only thing I would change are the large eye cups.

I have a wide IPD and very large nose bridge. And fairly deep set eyes. yea, I can't stand larger eye cups. I'm making do with the binocs I have now because they were affordable and the optics are superb. Only thing I would change are the large eye cups.

I have a relatively wide IPD, (68/69mm); a high bridged long thin nose and deep set eyes.

I dislike small eye cups. I prefer large eye cups because I can brace them more easily against my brows.

I get blackouts when I put the eye cups back into my eye sockets; however when I use my new Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B I can use it with the eye cups braced up against my eye brows and also placed back in my eye sockets. This binocular is supposed to have newly designed eye pieces which make this possible. I also have a lower priced Pentax 9x32 which is a clone of the Sightron 8x32 that I can use in the same manner.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back