Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Moth ID help, Cornwall, UK

Old Sunday 19th August 2018, 15:51   #1
thomasclark1985

Moth ID help, Cornwall, UK

Hi,

Can I people help ID or confirm my ID's for these?

1) Grey Arches
2) Uncertain
3) False Mocha or un-banded Riband Wave
4) Flame Carpet
5) Slender Pug, or is the photo too poor for ID.

Thanks,

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030579.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	671425  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030669.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	671426  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030741.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	671427  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030647.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	671429  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030599.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	671430  

Old Sunday 19th August 2018, 16:51   #2
davidg

No 2 are both Vine's Rustic.
No 3 certainly isn't Riband Wave. I'm not familiar with False (or any other!) Mocha.

David
Old Sunday 19th August 2018, 17:12   #3
thomasclark1985

Thanks David, I can't believe I missed Vine's Rustic, I was staring at Uncertain & Rustic for ages, and managed to miss Vine's directly below it! A first for me though.

I think 3 might be a Clay Triple-lines now, possibly.
Old Sunday 19th August 2018, 17:24   #4
rosaria

3. How about Jersey Mocha?
4. is a Flame Carpet
5 Possibly a Currant pug

Rose
Old Sunday 19th August 2018, 18:00   #5
thomasclark1985

Thanks Rose, It does look like a Jersey Mocha, from a quick google search, it's not even illustrated in my guide though. I'll have to wait to see what others think though, as it's pretty rare!

Tom
Old Sunday 19th August 2018, 20:27   #6
Paul Chapman

Yes to Jersey Mocha - though the last one I saw was the female from which this one was bred - https://ukmoths.org.uk/species/cyclo...iaria/adult-2/ - which was in 2004!

Slender Pug seems a reasonable guess but not Currant Pug for me which tends to be more uniform brown, white spots quite prominent and black band on the abdomen.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Sunday 19th August 2018, 20:56   #7
thomasclark1985

Thanks Paul, that's great news about the Jersey Mocha, the rarest moth I've ever had, even beats the Waved Black I had the other week! Should I let the county recorder know?

Tom
Old Monday 20th August 2018, 07:22   #8
Paul Chapman

Tom

Absolutely. The state of my environmental record keeping is poor - one of my regrets from a lack of time.....

http://www.cornwallmothgroup.org.uk/record.php

I am aware that it is considered to be resident in Cornwall now though I've not trapped for it myself.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Monday 20th August 2018, 12:48   #9
Britseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasclark1985 View Post
Thanks Paul, that's great news about the Jersey Mocha, the rarest moth I've ever had, even beats the Waved Black I had the other week! Should I let the county recorder know?

Tom
Hi.

Here is the address of the Cornish moth recorder Leon Truscott

[email protected]

He was very helpful to me while I was trapping in the Saltash area last summer. As it happens, I made the same mistake in identifying my Jersey Mochas as False Mochas, and for the same reason as you...it wasn't in my first edition Lewington.

I caught the first Waved Black for Cornwall on the Isles of Scilly two summers ago; so I guess yours will be the second.

Best
graham
Old Monday 20th August 2018, 18:26   #10
thomasclark1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britseye View Post
Hi.

Here is the address of the Cornish moth recorder Leon Truscott

[email protected]

He was very helpful to me while I was trapping in the Saltash area last summer. As it happens, I made the same mistake in identifying my Jersey Mochas as False Mochas, and for the same reason as you...it wasn't in my first edition Lewington.

I caught the first Waved Black for Cornwall on the Isles of Scilly two summers ago; so I guess yours will be the second.

Best
graham
Hi Graham,

Iíve sent it onto him now, thanks for that. Well done on getting the first Waved Black, I didnít actually catch the Waved Black in Cornwall, i caught it in Plymouth - at work. I believe they have had a few records in Devon anyway but Iíve let the county recorder know.

I work shifts and when Iím in on nightshifts I leave the window open, and light on in the mess room and see what comes in. Iíve had 2 Waved Blacks in there this summer, and my first Old Lady last week, which was a real shock, as it would have gave me a black eye if I didnít move quickly enough, it was so big!

Cheers,

Tom
Old Monday 20th August 2018, 18:37   #11
thomasclark1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
Tom

Absolutely. The state of my environmental record keeping is poor - one of my regrets from a lack of time.....

http://www.cornwallmothgroup.org.uk/record.php

I am aware that it is considered to be resident in Cornwall now though I've not trapped for it myself.

All the best
Hi Paul,

I havenít started keeping records yet, but I will start now... I hope. Iím only just getting to grips with ID though, So it takes me even longer. Although, I donít catch a lot (between 5-15 per night) as I only have a little home made trap which I put out on my balcony, as I donít have much of a garden. Still, itís surprising what Iíve caught between here and my messroom at work!

Do you mind having a look at No.1 for me also?

Thanks again,

Tom
Old Monday 20th August 2018, 20:04   #12
Britseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasclark1985 View Post
Hi Graham,

Iíve sent it onto him now, thanks for that. Well done on getting the first Waved Black, I didnít actually catch the Waved Black in Cornwall, i caught it in Plymouth - at work. I believe they have had a few records in Devon anyway but Iíve let the county recorder know.

I work shifts and when Iím in on nightshifts I leave the window open, and light on in the mess room and see what comes in. Iíve had 2 Waved Blacks in there this summer, and my first Old Lady last week, which was a real shock, as it would have gave me a black eye if I didnít move quickly enough, it was so big!

Cheers,

Tom
The Waved Black I had on Scilly came into my bedroom light and landed on the ceiling. I think I was vaguely aware there were more Waved Black records just across the Tamar in Devon. I get to claim a county first for the sake of 2-3 miles or so!
Old Monday 20th August 2018, 20:30   #13
Paul Chapman

Is it relatively recent? I would be inclined to call it Cabbage Moth and you can see a spur on the right front foreleg on the first segment.

All the best

Old Tuesday 21st August 2018, 15:03   #14
thomasclark1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
Is it relatively recent? I would be inclined to call it Cabbage Moth and you can see a spur on the right front foreleg on the first segment.

All the best
I caught it about 10 days ago. After doing a quick google search, it looks a better match for Cabbage Moth.

Thanks again Paul.

Tom
Old Tuesday 21st August 2018, 21:43   #15
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britseye View Post
The Waved Black I had on Scilly came into my bedroom light and landed on the ceiling. I think I was vaguely aware there were more Waved Black records just across the Tamar in Devon. I get to claim a county first for the sake of 2-3 miles or so!
That's funny, I've only ever seen one, it was here in Russia and it was on our bedroom ceiling!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: