• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Handbook of Western Palearctic birds (2 Viewers)

John, someone new to birding who doesn't already have creaking bookshelves, may well buy it however, those of us a bit longer in the tooth, may deem it an indulgence that doesn't bring anything new to the table but each to their own. Rather than comparing it to cigarette consumption, as I've never smoked, I'd rather say that it's 25% of an airfair to Africa. A

Rather cheaper for you Andy, would be to do a long birding transect up to Repino, take in the England team for your football checklist. Bet nobody else from UK is doing that...;););)
MJB

Rather cheaper for you Andy, would be to do a long birding transect up to Repino, take in the England team for your football checklist. Bet nobody else from UK is doing that...;););)
MJB

The England team is already on my checklist, my first ever foreign trip was to watch England play in Luxembourg in 1977, I wa also at the notorious game at Wembley versus Scotland and was stood behind the goal that got pulled down!

Tickets for the games here are a silly price and it's a long, convoluted process of registration and application for tickets. we've opted for beers and a barbecue with a big screen at the dacha for our selected games B :)

A

Last edited:
It sounds as a book that would be a must for an active birder within the area of interest. I do not know when or even if I will ever live within the WP again, so probably not for me.

Niels

Good to have it confirmed in the interview with the authors published by NHBS that there will be sister volumes on non-passerines even if no firm dates are given.

Two examples from the first browsing.

Fringilla teydea is still split into F. t. teydea and F. t. polatzeki

There are two species of redpoll: The Common Redpoll with its subspecies A. f. flammea, A. f. cabaret, A. f. rostrata

and the Arctic Redpoll with its subspecies A. h. hornemanni and A. h. exilipis.

The photographic material is exceptional awesome. Partly better than in the HBW series.

Thanks Melanie,
I was curious that members on the European mainland seem to be getting all the recent, new stuff, first.

A

I was somewhat confused after my book dealer (Christ Media Natur in Minden, Germany) state that this book has been published and that they have it in stock because any other book dealer page (even the publisher Bloomsbury) state that it will be published on July 26.

I was somewhat confused after my book dealer (Christ Media Natur in Minden, Germany) state that this book has been published and that they have it in stock because any other book dealer page (even the publisher Bloomsbury) state that it will be published on July 26.

This is the same date given by my regular supplier.

A

One of the most interesting parts are the vagrants. They include all vagrants from the New World (e.g. the Dark-eyed junco and the New World warblers) or from Central Asia (Yellow-breasted bunting, Large-billed reed warbler)

One of the most interesting parts are the vagrants. They include all vagrants from the New World (e.g. the Dark-eyed junco and the New World warblers) or from Central Asia (Yellow-breasted bunting, Large-billed reed warbler)

Makes sense to include regular vagrants in a field guide but why you'd include in a WP handbook?

A

Because it aims to be a complete guide to the WP? Seems natural to me to include them.

If I wanted to check the plumage of an American vagrant, I'd check an American handbook?

The title of the book is

Handbook of Western Palearctic Birds

Are Red-eyed Vireo or Yellow-browed Warbler Western palearctic birds? Both species occur on a regular basis as vagrants but they are not WP birds? It's not a field guide so why include them, were they in BWP, I don't have it here to check?

Last edited:
If I wanted to check the plumage of an American vagrant, I'd check an American handbook?

The title of the book is

Handbook of Western Palearctic Birds

Are Red-eyed Vireo or Yellow-browed Warbler Western palearctic birds? Both species occur on a regular basis as vagrants but they are not WP birds? It's not a field guide so why include them, were they in BWP, I don't have it here to check?

Yellow-browed warbler breeds in the urals so it's definitely a WP bird.

Last edited:

Most definitely - all vagrants were included.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back