• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID's Mercer Meadows NJ (1 Viewer)

NJBirder12

Taken at Mercer Meadows in Lawrenceville NJ. Is the first a grasshopper sparrow, second a Vesper (3rd photo I think is Vesper and could be the same individual from afar), and the last a young Bobolink? There were several Bobolinks in the area of varying age so I just wanted to be sure.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 47
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 44
#2 is a young Field Sparrow. I think #3 is, too, but the photo isn't detailed enough to be sure.

This is my thoughts. Vesper Sparrow is not a breeding bird in New Jersey and is very rare in July. I believe it was historically a breeding bird but this dates back over 100 years

The tail on #2 is far too long relative to its narrow width to be that of a Vesper Sparrow. It's perfect for many of the Spizella sparrows, though. However, I believe that it's a Chipping, as juvenile Field Sparrows have quite plain heads, lacking the distinct piece of an eyeline that the depicted bird sports. [See here for an example of juv Field.]

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back