• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Azure tit in Ukraine (1 Viewer)

This june I will be visitig a friend in NE-Ukraine. I will be driving there from the Netherlands, so i will cross the entire north of Ukraine. Is there someone who can help me with some information (location, guide, knowledgable locals) on the Azure Tit (the only species i still need in Ukraine).
I love a bit of Don Quichottting, but my time is limited. ;)

Thanks in advance,
Thijs

This june I will be visitig a friend in NE-Ukraine. I will be driving there from the Netherlands, so i will cross the entire north of Ukraine. Is there someone who can help me with some information (location, guide, knowledgable locals) on the Azure Tit (the only species i still need in Ukraine).
I love a bit of Don Quichottting, but my time is limited. ;)

Thanks in advance,
Thijs

Sadly, this remained unaswered and google isn't of much further help. Are there Azure tits in Ukraine to be seen or not? I'd definitely go for some from Warsaw ... i know there are in Belarus, but I have no intention of going there, not unless they drop the absurd visa requirements.

It is some time ago, and I forgot to reply, but the intel might be usefull anyway. In the end I had to return to the Netherlands after 1 day because of knee-problems, so i cannot confirm the information below.
This information I got on the Birding Ukraine Facebook page (friendly people, highly recommended for people thinking of going there):

Here is some recommendation from my colleagues who have seen Azure Tit. The species is quite common to the far north of Volyn and Rivne oblasts. In Rivne oblast, go north of Zarichne town (Зарічне) closer to the border with Belarus. Stick closer to the Prypiat and Stokhid floodplain – this area is a "magnet" for the species. It very often nests in villages here, occupies tree hollow and nest boxes. They almost always met nesting species in an area of these few villages - Prykladnyky (Прикладники), Gorynychi (Гориничі), Nyhovyschi (Ниговищі), and Omyt (Омит). And be careful there as there is border-line with Belarus.

I might want to go back someday, although my friend left Ukraine again.

Sadly, this remained unaswered and google isn't of much further help. Are there Azure tits in Ukraine to be seen or not? I'd definitely go for some from Warsaw ... i know there are in Belarus, but I have no intention of going there, not unless they drop the absurd visa requirements.

Have they got an issue with your nation?

It's visa free for a visit of a week, even so, we went for a little over a week and the visa was very easy to get?

Attachments

• 20150606081539965.jpg
    20150606081539965.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20150606081637424.jpg
    20150606081637424.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Don't know about Ukraine, I figured it should not be much hassle. I tried to travel to Russia to catch (via camera) what bird are there. I am a German citizen and it was a lot of pain and paperwork. Just for a simple visa s much stuff has to be done, Russia is one scary place to travel to alright. The Russian Consulate requires a visa application completed online. The application must be completed online by all travellers. For a much better explanation I did read up on here This application, hosted by the Russian government, may take up to an hour to complete and requires very detailed information. Just so you know, I didn't really know at first but your visa request cannot be processed if you do not complete the application form online.

Don't know about Ukraine, I figured it should not be much hassle. I tried to travel to Russia to catch (via camera) what bird are there. I am a German citizen and it was a lot of pain and paperwork. Just for a simple visa s much stuff has to be done, Russia is one scary place to travel to alright. The Russian Consulate requires a visa application completed online. The application must be completed online by all travellers. For a much better explanation I did read up on here This application, hosted by the Russian government, may take up to an hour to complete and requires very detailed information. Just so you know, I didn't really know at first but your visa request cannot be processed if you do not complete the application form online.

Really, where did you go?

I've spent a few years in Russia and apart from one incident with security forces, I've never had any issues anywhere.

Correct about the visa though, information about your parents, are they dead, if so, when and where did they die, have you got any kids, what are their passport numbers, what are the numbers of all your expired passports etc, etc.

One tip I will give, don't admit to any military service on your application, it will possibly cause extra scrutiny and may cause you avoidable problems.

Have they got an issue with your nation?

It's visa free for a visit of a week, even so, we went for a little over a week and the visa was very easy to get?

Visa free is only when you are arriving by airplane, which would be really funny for me, because it is literally faster for me to get to the Azure tit sites by car ... but to cross a surface crossing, I need visa. To get one, I need either an invitation from a travel agency organizing my stay, or a hotel reservation for the whole time, directly from a Belarusian hotel (no internet portals) - neither of which I want to use.

I mean it's not completely impossible, but it is also not attractive. If I am presented with a choice, I always choose to visit a country that doesn't actively try to make it annoying for me.

Arriving by air at Minsk you can now stay 30 days without a visa, or at least that is the situation for UK residents. Four of us have just had three days birding with APB-Birdlife Belarus and Azure Tit was easy.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back