Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

nikon fieldscope ed82 a

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 16th April 2012, 04:14   #26
jgraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by horukuru View Post
What makes it a laughable product for you ? Did Nikon discontinued the ED82 when they released the EDG ?
Besides the fact that it's the ugliest scope known to mankind, it's way overpriced (at least here in the US), and it's really heavy, all at a price higher than I paid for a Prominar 884? That's laughable to me. Nikon needs to stick to something it's good at, like cameras.

Don't even get me started on this spotter/digiscope contraption Nikon wants megabucks for.......that's beyond laughable.
Old Monday 16th April 2012, 10:16   #27
horukuru
Here I Come !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
Besides the fact that it's the ugliest scope known to mankind, it's way overpriced (at least here in the US), and it's really heavy, all at a price higher than I paid for a Prominar 884? That's laughable to me. Nikon needs to stick to something it's good at, like cameras.

Don't even get me started on this spotter/digiscope contraption Nikon wants megabucks for.......that's beyond laughable.
Go and read about Nikon EDG at their website http://www.nikon.com/products/sporto.../top/index.htm

Clearly you haven't try the product and making fun of it. So pity hahaha

Nikon is giving options for buyers either to get their flagship EDG or ED series scopes. You complained about the narrow Field Of View of the 25-75x zoom MC II eyepiece, so Nikon answered it with the new EDG 20-60x zoom eyepiece. Choices is yours.

I have tried the Kowa Prominar 883/884 and I like the view from it except the dual focusing, but I never tell my birding friends that, from my eyes, my EDG scope is better then theirs
Old Monday 16th April 2012, 15:06   #28
jgraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by horukuru View Post
I have tried the Kowa Prominar 883/884 and I like the view from it except the dual focusing, but I never tell my birding friends that, from my eyes, my EDG scope is better then theirs
You're dremin' my friend. So is Nikon if they think they're a serious competitor.
Old Monday 16th April 2012, 15:18   #29
horukuru
Here I Come !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
You're dremin' my friend. So is Nikon if they think they're a serious competitor.
I don't own Nikon corporation. So tell them yourself

And I'm not dreaming because I have tried it myself on the field with my own eyes :king

Happy birding
Old Friday 20th April 2012, 18:53   #30
Bird spotter

Today I took delivery of the Nikon FSB-8 Digital Camera Bracket designed to be used with the ED82 in conjunction with the Nikon Coolpix P300.
You can see the progress I have made in just a week. :-)
From a simple cardboard tube (V1) then (V2) and much improved looking product,both worked but suffered camera shake when pressing the shutter button.
The Nikon Digital Camera Bracket FSB-8 works perfectly, the cable release is excellent with zero camera movement when used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	379724  Click image for larger version

Name:	V2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	379725  Click image for larger version

Name:	fsb-8.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	379727  
Old Friday 30th August 2019, 17:46   #31
Ries

How does an Optolyth TBS 80hd with zoom compare with the Nikon 82ed? And if one would put a Baader zoom on it?
Old Tuesday 1st October 2019, 20:01   #32
Ries

Just bought me an angled one on fleabay. A bit more expensive than I'd planned and hoped (€800, with mcii zoom and case, as new) but it seems they are getting rarer as everybody is holding on to theirs so guess it's worth it. Really excited about this buy, looking forward to it! Will let you know what I think of it when I get it and tested it :)

Last edited by Ries : Tuesday 1st October 2019 at 20:31.
Old Monday 14th October 2019, 09:12   #33
Ries

Haven't had the time/chance to get out in the field with this, only tried it in my garden. First impressions: what a lens but what a compact size! Lens caps are somewhat loose, gotta replace that sometimes, but having second thoughts as the soc is so great! Scope is snug in it, and still extremely usable, even twisting it inside the ring can be done, fantastic. Hardly an excuse to ever get it out of the case again.

The field of view really is quite narrow. Compared to my Celestron 65mm with comparable mags, it is obvious but is it that much? I doubt how much it is gonna hinder when using it for what I use it for most; waders and seabird watching.
The view is crazy; sharp from edge to edge and even at 75x there's just marginal decrease in clarity and definition/sharpness. Colours are true to life and contrast looks real too, not exaggerating shades.

Yes, this is visually and build-wise an amazing scope. But indeed, that field of view is a downside. That's the only thing that might get me to change to something else in a few years. First to get into the field to experience it there. Hard with fulltime work and the fall weather hardly cooperating...
Old Monday 14th October 2019, 20:35   #34
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ries View Post
Yes, this is visually and build-wise an amazing scope. But indeed, that field of view is a downside. That's the only thing that might get me to change to something else in a few years.
If you ever find one of the wideangles at a decent price, get it. Even the old 20x for the 60mm Fieldscopes is pretty good. My most used wideangle on the ED82 is the 16/24/30x. Actually, it's my most used Nikon WW eyepiece on all three of the Fieldscopes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ries View Post
First to get into the field to experience it there. Hard with fulltime work and the fall weather hardly cooperating...
Yep, you can say that again. 18 more months ... 18 more months ...

Hermann
(looking forward to retiring in 2021)
Old Monday 14th October 2019, 20:43   #35
Ries

I can find the 25x quite affordable, the 50x as well but the 30x and 38x are more expensive at those rare few places they're still to be found. I'm quite the zoomer but maybe fixed ep's on this scope will change that? First to create the budget for it, goes off of travel plans so...might take a while.
Old Monday 14th October 2019, 22:19   #36
dwatsonbirder
Mostly off the radar

I recommend both the 30x and the 50x fixed mag eyepieces, if you wear glasses try the DS series. Both are fantastic with the ED82, you will soon get rid of the zoom!

@axbridge_birder
Old Tuesday 15th October 2019, 16:24   #37
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatsonbirder View Post
I recommend both the 30x and the 50x fixed mag eyepieces, if you wear glasses try the DS series. Both are fantastic with the ED82, you will soon get rid of the zoom!
IMO getting rid of the zoom would be a bad mistake. There are plenty of situations where you need all the magnification you can get.

Hermann
Old Thursday 17th October 2019, 16:27   #38
Ries

Well, I certainly don't have a lemon. The reach of this thing is incredible! Even at 75x the view is crisp, sharp and bright. I felt like there was a sweet spot around 55-60x where brightness, sharpness and fov were optimal. Focusing is a bit tight but snaps into focus nicely. Yes, the fov is somewhat narrow but it hardly felt as a minus, while scanning loads of geese and ducks on incredible distances and still being able to see all plumage detail. Great stuff. The only thing to upgrade for would be that bit of fov, but would that be worth the amount of money needed? Right now I'd say no but who knows when that tickle for something new returns...For now I'm very happy!
Old Saturday 19th October 2019, 13:27   #39
Saxatilis

Hi
as regards the fixed eyepieces, should you find the excellent MC 38X, don't miss it!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: