• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sapsucker (SE Arizona, today) (1 Viewer)

It's a flicker. You might want to look into whether it's Red-shafted or Gilded....

EDIT: cross-post with Andrew, if he's confident I'd go with that :)

I think so too. Not sure what intergrade situation is like there. Maybe location within SE AZ separates them? I remember seeing Gilded in SE AZ, in low elevation habitats.

Location might be helpful, although I wonder if things are made more complicated by migrant birds in the winter.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's in Madera Canyon, at the foothills of the Santa Rita Mountains.

Another view ...

Attachments

• _DSC7380a.jpg
    _DSC7380a.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 21
Agree Red-shafted Northern; Gilded should as per its name be golden on its shafts. Northern is mapped as wintering within Gilded's resident range, so reasonable to get either there at this time of year.

Andrew had it right from the first: red-shafted form of Northern Flicker. I see no indication of intergradation with yellow-shafted flicker or hybridization with Gilded Flicker.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back