• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Up to date advice, O'ahu (1 Viewer)

Markus Lagerqvist

Sweden
Hi,

I'll be visiting Hawaii in April and would appreciate some advice about finding a couple of species on O'ahu.

1. Are there any Bristle-thighed Curlews present, e.g. at James Campbell? And from where do you see them, since I undestand that the reserve is closed during the breeding season?

2. Where's the best spot to look for O'ahu Elepaio nowadays?

Many thanks in advance for any help!
Cheers!
Markus

Might be worth a PM to bkrownd a BF member from Hawaii.

http://www.birdforum.net/member.php?u=44104

He is probably the best person to talk to. He also maintains a pbase account (http://www.pbase.com/bkrownd)

As I understand it, most of their remaining habitat are in the valleys of the Waianae range on the western end of the island. Most of this is conservation land or military and access is restricted. I have seen them on occasion in Makaha Valley, nearby the towers. I have heard that there is habitat in the Koolau range in the vicinity of the Aiea Loop Trail and the Waahila Ridge Trail, but I cannot confirm this through personal experience.

I've never been to 'o'ahu, so I can't give any info on public locations where the 'elepaio can be found. You might use Google to try to locate old trip reports.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back