• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cleaning optics -> smeared glass (1 Viewer)

cdmackay

hi all, naive question please…

Is it me, or does anyone else have no luck with the Zeiss cleaning "wet wipes" tissues, or the spray bottle, in the "lens cleaning kit"? I've tried both the wipes alone, and the spray on a clean microfibre cloth, on my new 42 SF, and in both cases end up with smeared glass.

[That's after a good upside-down blow from a bulb, then a gentle brush, to hopefully remove anything that might scratch]

What did work (as I've subsequently seen many recommend) was breathing on them then careful wiping with a dry cloth. Mostly removed the smearing that I'd caused.

Was I doing it wrong? Does anyone use these wipes/fluids? Is it the Lotutec coating?

thanks very much…

Is it me, or does anyone else have no luck with the Zeiss cleaning "wet wipes" tissues, or the spray bottle, in the "lens cleaning kit"? I've tried both the wipes alone, and the spray on a clean microfibre cloth, on my new 42 SF, and in both cases end up with smeared glass.

[That's after a good upside-down blow from a bulb, then a gentle brush, to hopefully remove anything that might scratch]

What did work (as I've subsequently seen many recommend) was breathing on them then careful wiping with a dry cloth. Mostly removed the smearing that I'd caused.

Was I doing it wrong? Does anyone use these wipes/fluids? Is it the Lotutec coating?

thanks very much…

Not sure why but I also sometimes have this problem with Zeiss wipes too. When this happens I finish up with light buffing with a dry cleaning cloth and that always works. For me, Opticron cleaning cloths seem to work best.

Mike

Not sure why but I also sometimes have this problem with Zeiss wipes too. When this happens I finish up with light buffing with a dry cleaning cloth and that always works. For me, Opticron cleaning cloths seem to work best.

Mike

thanks very much Mike; but only sometimes?

I assumed I must be either doing it very wrong (but hard to see how), or that folks just don't use the wipes, or bottle spray (via cloth) at all.

thanks again.

Baader Optical Wonder fluid usually works if other things don't.

Not available in U.S.A. or Canada?

Grease seems to come in different forms.
So use whatever works.

Regards,
B.

Baader Optical Wonder fluid usually works if other things don't.

Not available in U.S.A. or Canada?

Grease seems to come in different forms.
So use whatever works.

Regards,
B.

thanks very much; ah, so you think it wasn't so much the fluid itself, but more whatever I'd managed to get on the lens that I was trying to clean? Didn't think of that, thanks.

The following advice won't help once you get the lens dirty and also it's hard to avoid when out in nature, but the old Leica advice of keep the lenses clean rather than cleaning them is good.

I use Zeiss wipes all the time as my local shop keeps throwing in a free packet when I buy film etc from them but yes, I've experienced your problem too, if only to a minor degree. The breath method works well because you then use a dry cloth rather than trying to wipe away the liquid with something that is already wet.

if you look at lenses in strong light at a certain angle even the cleanest lens looks irreparably damaged; so don't look!

Tom

ROR (Residual Oil Remover) fluid is also very good indeed, and - used sparingly - gives excellent results. I usually put some on a cotton bud, and then wrap the cotton bud with (good quality) optical tissue. That cleans off practically anything - then a quick buff with a fresh sheet of optical tissue wrapped around the other (dry) end of the cotton bud just to finish off. Works like a charm on all of my binoculars - including my Conquest HDs with Lotutec coatings.

With Zeiss wipes after cleaning while damp I let them dry and lightly buff with a nearly dry bit of the wipe and it seems to remove any smear left from the wet clean. Word of caution, I scratched my SF objective using a lens cloth I thought was clean. I have seen second hand SFs with exactly the same type of scratch. I think the loto-tech coating might be quite susceptible to scratching (small deep scratch from too much pressure when cleaning and any dirt being present). So I would avoid cleaning clothes and just use sealed wipes or liquid. Light buffing with a cloth may be ok, but I wouldn't risk it.

thanks very much…

Hi all,

Some people seem to make a career out of proposing cleaning solutions and techniques. I’ve cleaned and collimated more than 12,000 binoculars and, making all those customers happy, I’ve come to believe I know where the rubber meets the road on the subject. There are “secret” formulas, expensive formulas, foreign formulas, and secret, expensive foreign formulas.

The attached PDFs were created for my local Audubon society and has the name of the book at the top. I have tried to omit that on previous posts, but I don’t have time, today. Consequently, Lee if you need to delete the post, please do so.

Furthermore, I know there will be dissenters. However, after they have cleaned a mere 1,000 binos—and made those customers happy—I’ll buy’em a burger and we can sit and talk about it. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

“The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. Ignorance may deride it. But in the end, there it is.” — Winston Churchill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 3.06.04 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 3.06.04 PM.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 3.06.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 3.06.51 PM.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 75
I've been using a mixture of isopropanol and purefied water (1:1) for well over 40 years.

Works nicely.

Hermann

I've been using a mixture of isopropanol and purefied water (1:1) for well over 40 years.

Works nicely.

Hermann

Hi Herman,

What “works nicely” for you may not work as nicely for others. My all-inclusive suggestion was derived from cleaning thousands of optics used in Iraq, Afghanistan, the Amazon, the Gulf of Alaska, spray booth body shops, and the US South where the deciduous trees spread their sap like crazy. One size does not fit all. :cat:

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back