• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Apodidae (1 Viewer)

Deemed more likely that Schoutedenapus schoutedeni represent darker juvenile or sub-adult Scarce Swifts (Schoutedenapus myoptilus) of subspecies chapini.

Fishpool, L. D. C. (2019) A reappraisal of Schouteden’s Swift. Bull ABC 26(1): 38-57.

A reappraisal of Schouteden’s Swift Schoutedenapus schoutedeni.

A reappraisal is presented of Schouteden’s Swift Schoutedenapus schoutedeni, a species unknown in life, recognised from only five specimens and whose validity has been questioned. I present details of two further, hitherto overlooked specimens attributed to the taxon by its original describer Prigogine, also collected in the Itombwe region of DR Congo, whence all other specimens originate. The case for its status as a species is re-assessed. Variation in plumage coloration and in size and proportion of the tail of the sympatric race of the very similar-looking Scarce Swift S. myoptilus chapini is described and illustrated for the first time. Characters considered diagnostic of S. schoutedeni—the dark chin, throat, lores and frons, and the short, round-tipped outermost rectrix—also occur in some specimens of S. m. chapini. No firm evidence has been found to support assertions that specimens of S. schoutedeni are adult, upon which rests much of the case for the validity of the taxon. The published method for distinguishing juvenile, subadult and adult S. m. chapini—based upon the progressive decrease in width and increase in emargination of the outer tail feathers, whereby the sharply pointed, strongly emarginated outermost rectrix of the adult is not assumed until after the second moult—is supported herein. No significant differences were found between measurements of three tail parameters of S. schoutedeni and those of the combined sample of juvenile and subadult S. m. chapini, while application of the method of ageing S. m. chapini to the seven skins of S. schoutedeni suggests that three resemble juveniles, two correspond to subadults, and one appears to be adult, while the seventh is, because of damage, unclassifiable. Variation in tail shape and proportion within S. schoutedeni appears to mirror that associated with maturation in S. m. chapini, casting further doubt on the likelihood that the type material of S. schoutedeni is adult. The possibility that schoutedeni is a race of S. myoptilus—prompted in part by the fact that the two newly rediscovered specimens are so labelled—is A reappraisal of Schouteden’s Swift: Fishpool Bull ABC Vol 26 No 1 (2019) – 39 considered but believed to be highly improbable. The explanation which best fits the data is that the birds on which the name schoutedeni is based are simply dark-plumaged, mainly juvenile or subadult S. m. chapini.
https://www.africanbirdclub.org/bul...schouteden’s-swift-schoutedenapus-schoutedeni

BirdLife Taxonomy: Vaux’s Swift (Chaetura vauxi) is being split: assessment of newly recognised taxa.

Following a taxonomic reassessment, Vaux’s Swift (Chaetura vauxi) has been split into Vaux’s Swift (C. vauxi) and Andre’s Swift (C. andrei) (see Chesser et al. 2018). The newly-split Vaux’s Swift is a partial migrant with a resident population in Central America and a population breeding in eastern North America. Andre’s Swift is endemic to northern Venezuela. The habitat requirements of the newly-split Andre’s Swift have not been investigated, but it is likely that, similarly to Vaux’s Swift, it occupies primary and secondary forests in lowland and montane areas (Chantler et al. 2020). Both of the newly recognised taxa appear to be under threat from forest loss, as they depend on old-growth forest for nest and roost sites (Chantler et al. 2020, Schwitters et al. 2020).

The pre-split taxon was estimated to number 870,000 mature individuals (Partners in Flight 2019). The population size of the newly-split Andre’s Swift has not been estimated directly. However, based on the recorded population density of a congener (Band-rumped Swift Chaetura spinicaudus: 1 mature individual/km2 in French Guiana [Santini et al. 2018]) and the area of the species’s mapped range (81,400 km2), and assuming that around 10% of the range is occupied, the population of Andre’s Swift may number c.8,000 mature individuals. This estimate is highly preliminary and may be corrected if more detailed data becomes available. To account for uncertainty in the estimate, the population size of Andre’s Swift is here placed in the band 2,500-9,999 mature individuals. From this, it follows that the population of the newly-split Vaux’s Swift may number roughly 860,000 mature individuals.

The pre-split species was listed as Least Concern (BirdLife International 2020). However following the taxonomic split, new estimates of population sizes suggest that both species warrant a thorough assessment, which is provided below.

BirdLife Taxonomy: Vaux’s Swift (Chaetura vauxi) is being split: assessment of newly recognised taxa.

Following a taxonomic reassessment, Vaux’s Swift (Chaetura vauxi) has been split into Vaux’s Swift (C. vauxi) and Andre’s Swift (C. andrei) (see Chesser et al. 2018). The newly-split Vaux’s Swift is a partial migrant with a resident population in Central America and a population breeding in eastern North America.

I believe they spelled 'western' wrong. :D

I believe they spelled 'western' wrong. :D

Given that I've seen it in Washington State (summer breeder) and Belize (resident), BirdLife's article does display the 'Buttons and bows' effect.**
MJB

**"East is east and west is west
And the wrong one I have chose
..."

(Livingstone & Evans, 1941: sung by Dinah Shore)

I wonder, Indicapus and Zoonavena were created by Mathews (1918) and published in the same paper in the same page (265) , but Indicapus appears first. shouldn't Indicapus be the valid name?

I wonder, Indicapus and Zoonavena were created by Mathews (1918) and published in the same paper in the same page (265), but Indicapus appears first. Shouldn't Indicapus be the valid name?

There is no such thing under the Code as page (or where-on-the-page) priority.

The single species Mathews placed in Indicapus (I. sylvaticus) was included in Chaetura (as C. sylvatica) by Peters (Volume IV, 1940), who kept C. grandidieri in Zoonavena, of which it is the type. Who first placed C. sylvatica and C. grandidieri in the same genus (other than Chaetura)? They should have acted as first reviser; would placing them both in Zoonavena without comment count if they made no explicit choice? Would selecting Indicapus now not be destabilising to nomenclature?

ok.

The single species Mathews placed in Indicapus (I. sylvaticus) was included in Chaetura (as C. sylvatica) by Peters (Volume IV, 1940), who kept C. grandidieri in Zoonavena, of which it is the type. Who first placed C. sylvatica and C. grandidieri in the same genus (other than Chaetura)? They should have acted as first reviser; would placing them both in Zoonavena without comment count if they made no explicit choice? Would selecting Indicapus now not be destabilising to nomenclature?

I don't think choosing Indicapus instead of Zoonavena will destabilize nomenclature.

You know, I was just asking the question, because it's a question I've in my mind for some time

[URL

Following a taxonomic reassessment, Vaux’s Swift (Chaetura vauxi) has been split into Vaux’s Swift (C. vauxi) and Andre’s Swift (C. andrei) (see Chesser et al. 2018). The newly-split Vaux’s Swift is a partial migrant with a resident population in Central America and a population breeding in eastern North America. Andre’s Swift is endemic to northern Venezuela. The habitat requirements of the newly-split Andre’s Swift have not been investigated, but it is likely that, similarly to Vaux’s Swift, it occupies primary and secondary forests in lowland and montane areas (Chantler et al. 2020). Both of the newly recognised taxa appear to be under threat from forest loss, as they depend on old-growth forest for nest and roost sites (Chantler et al. 2020, Schwitters et al. 2020).

I'm confused by the range, Scythebill states that andrei is in Eastern Venezuela and mentions the split, aphanes is stated to be in the North hence my previous question, so which is correct.

We had a sighting of Vaux's at Henri Pittier in Venezuela, would they be Andre's?

So C. andrei was C.aphanes?

Sort of. C. andrei was frequently treated as a separate species from C. vauxi, but a review in 1997 claimed that andrei was indistinguishable from C. vauxi aphanes and recommended that they be synonymized. And andrei has priority, which is the "yes" part of the answer to your question.

The SACC followed that recommendation, which implied treating andrei as a subspecies of vauxi, up until their recent split of the two.

I think 1970 Brooks says It should be noted that Indicapus Mathews 1918 with type species of sylvatica Tickell has line priority over Zoonavena. However I am the first reviser…
https://journals.co.za/content/admn/9/2/AJA0012723X_1554 .

Thanks. The full quote is:

The last group is Zoonavena Mathews, 1918, with type species grandidieri (J. Verreaux), of Malagasy and the Comoros, with which are associated thomensis of the Gulf of Guinea and sylvatica of India. It should be noted that Indicapus Mathews, 1918, with type species sylvatica (Tickell), has line priority over Zoonavena. However, I am the first reviser in respect of the genera and subgenera of swifts placed in Chaetura by authors, and I select Zoonavena on the grounds that it has been more widely used by major authorities, including Sclater (1924), Rand (1936), and Peters (1940).​

Sort of. C. andrei was frequently treated as a separate species from C. vauxi, but a review in 1997 claimed that andrei was indistinguishable from C. vauxi aphanes and recommended that they be synonymized. And andrei has priority, which is the "yes" part of the answer to your question.

The SACC followed that recommendation, which implied treating andrei as a subspecies of vauxi, up until their recent split of the two.

Thanks for this Paul however, there is remaining confusion, for me anyway, as to the correct range of andrei, see post 33.

Zoonavena vs. Indicapus

I agree Brooke 1970 was the first reviser.

Just to be complete and answer some questions that have been asked :

Indeed, but there is "rank priority", which is the first thing that should be checked when trying to establish the precedence between two names published on the same date. If the names were introduced at different ranks (e.g., genus and subgenus, species and subspecies, family and subfamily, etc.), the name introduced at a higher rank has automatic precedence over the other.
This was not the case here, though -- both names were introduced a full genera (https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/53451501 ).

They should have acted as first reviser; would placing them both in Zoonavena without comment count if they made no explicit choice?
No comment is needed, but simply "placing them both in Zoonavena" would not be enough either.
To have a FR act, both names must have been cited, and one of them must have been given precedence over the other, either explicitly (i.e., in a comment), or in the adopted taxonomic treatment -- this can be done either by adopting one of the name as the valid name of a taxon and citing the other as an invalid synonym of this valid name, or by adopting both names as valid for two taxa, one of which would be subordinate to the other (e.g., making Indicapus the name of a subgenus within a full genus Zoonavena gives precedence to Zoonavena).

For a short time the rules did allow page/line priority 1940 1950s?
1948-1953, indeed. (Shortly discussed here: http://mailman.nhm.ku.edu/pipermail/taxacom/2010-April/116212.html )
But page priority was also the rule under the old AOU Code -- which is why, historically, so many cases were solved using it in ornithology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back