• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest in my eaves near Atlanta GA USA (1 Viewer)

Last week I found this nest by my front door maybe 8 feet off the ground.

The bird is six inches or less in length, dark head, back, and tail, and a light to white chest. Pic of it is here, in the nest.

http://i64.tinypic.com/210nijd.jpg

Any help appreciated.

NOTE: the bird pic was very faint in the original, so it has had contrast boosted and has been adjusted to best see colors. To my eyes, it has reddened the photo.

Last edited:
Two more photos. Will attach as thumbnails. There is a better picture of thebird and a picture of the eggs, 4 white eggs, all taken today 5-16-2019. The best hit I have is the Eastern Phoebe, but the bird seems darker and I can't be sure.

Attachments

• IMG549tiny.png
    IMG549tiny.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG551tiny.png
    IMG551tiny.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 85
Hi nearsnellvillega

Unfortunately your thumbnails are rather too small to really see them. If you could try this to re-size them - and perhaps save them as jpegs?

Re-sizing images:

After you've done any other work on your pic (always a copy mind ) and cropped away any part of the picture you don't want, you can then re-size it. But don't crop to get the file size you want.

How you actually do it depends on what programs you have.

In Windows 7 you can right click on the image and there's an option to re-size (choose the smallest 800x600 - you can go bigger 1032 on the longest side I think, but Windows doesn't give you that option!). Adobe Photoshop: you have a better choice there, in the Image menu: Resize, you can actually choose the size you want, and the quality... always select medium.

Window 8: Right click on the image and select Edit from the drop down. Then select Image from the menu in the Paint programme that opens. You can then type in the number of pixels for the longest side. I usually choose 900 but you can go up to 1032.

I use Paint.net (free) for basic editing. Then select Image > Resize. Type in 900 in the highlighted box and save. Then Save As (new name).

Alternatively you could download the free program called Picassa.

If you use a Mac, this page shows you how to do it: http://www.howtogeek.com/201638/use-your-macs-preview-app-to-crop-resize-rotate-and-edit-images/

I hope one of these ideas work for you. If not, try posting in the Computer subforum - I'm sure someone will have more suggestions for you. There's loads of methods depending what software you have.

Thanks. I'm an old Unix type, so I tend to use Ubuntu and GIMP when I work with photos. I'll see if this forum will accept 800x600.

Ah, not as PNG. Too big. JPG seems to work.

Attachments

• IMG549med.jpg
    IMG549med.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG551med.jpg
    IMG551med.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 14
Another for Eastern Phoebe. I’ve never seen an Eastern Phoebe nest but its close relative, the “Western” (i. e. Say’s) Phoebe, builds very similar nests in the same kinds of places

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back