Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swarovski Habicht 10x40 W GA 2019

Old Thursday 16th May 2019, 09:06   #1
PHA

Swarovski Habicht 10x40 W GA 2019

Hello,

As I told here, I am in Europe since April 28th. Family reunión around one of our girls (have two boys and two girls) graduation of her MBA in the best business school in Europe (and two or three in the world, by the way). All very happy!
I had a plan, having sold my Z Victory HT 10x42, to buy the Noctivid 10x42. But, unexpectedly, had a chance to see a month old Habicht 10x40 WGA. At less than half the Noctivid 10x42 and a Swarovski 10x42 Sv FP I also saw. Well....a BIG WOW!!!!!! Testing for two ours these three binoculars I ended buying the...Habicht!!!!!
May be this is a cherry one and the two others both lemons...perhaps...
The Habicht center resolution, contrast, brightness and VEILING GLARE CONTROL are second to none. Period!!!
These atributes, at least in this simple, are so good that I see no reason to spend 1300 € more to get some more close focus distance, more friendly focusing and/or some more eye releif!!!!!
I don't need them. For someone, or many, here, I am sure the closer focus, the great retractable eye cups and eye releif of the NV and the SVFP are indispensable things, and more than justify the price difference, but for MY needs and taste, this last, latest, S. Habicht version is unbeatable!!! To me, It confirms the small (or great) improvements are told Swarovski makes in the same, but newly made, models!

Best regards!

PHA
Old Thursday 16th May 2019, 12:18   #2
jring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHA View Post
The Habicht center resolution, contrast, brightness and VEILING GLARE CONTROL are second to none. Period!!!
Hi,

first of all, have fun during your trip to Europe and with your new bins!

The 10x40 Habichts are indeed the least flawed of the three - if you don't wear glasses while using them and thus can live with 13mm of eye relief. If somebody would force me to get one of the three, the 10x40 would be it - and I would spend too much time comparing them to my SE 10x42.

Calling reflection and glare control on them second to none is probably stretching things a bit, but they're certainly not the glare monsters the 8x30 are and quite usable in this regard. The 7x42 are even better in that regard but their super narrow field due to too small prisms is a huge turn-off with them.

Joachim
Old Thursday 16th May 2019, 12:44   #3
Samolot

I had the 8x30 Habicht - the glare wasn't so bad with 3rd party eyecups. What took me a while to notice was the tunnel-like view. While the field of view is impressive (408ft), and the view itself phenomenal, for me it felt like my view had to travel through an optical tube to get to it. When I compared it to the 8x42 SF from Zeiss and, ultimately, my SV EL 8x32, I noticed a more immersive, walk-in view. I am not sure if this is unique to Roofs as I don't have a 10x40 Habicht to try, but I think that, together with the smaller size, better eye cups, close focus, etc... was worth the extra ~600 USD to get the EL 8x32. (In the US, Habicht's are drop-shipped from Swaro by a few dealers, so its hard to get discounts, but you can always get a discount on EL's. 1300 Euro is a whole other story...).

I will always have a soft spot for Habicht's though. One day I do hope to get a 10x40. The brightness and contrast on my 8x30 was second to none. The classic look and feel of the binoculars is otherwordly. Its a shame no other company like Leica or Zeiss make porros.
Old Thursday 16th May 2019, 21:07   #4
PHA

Hi jeong,

About your coments "Calling reflection and glare control on them second to none is probably stretching things a bit", I must say this is the most notable improvement over my other Habicht 10x40 WGA made in 2004! So I am talking not about the general characteristics of the model but about this 2019 Habicht! This is the 6th Habicht I have had....from 1970's ones yo this one. And I have been looking and comparing it, side by side with the NV and the SVFP.

Best!

PHA
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: