• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vanguard Endeavor ED vs Vortex Diamondback - $200 bino question (1 Viewer)

Hello all,

I'm looking for input from people who have handled these two binoculars. I'm looking at 8x42's. I live near a store that carries the Diamondbacks but not the Vanguards. Both of them can be had for under $200, and the Vanguard is even cheaper with the current rebate in the US.

The Vortex was nice when I looked through it. I liked the field of view and the close focus. It wasn't as nice as the Nikon Monarch 5's that I looked through, but I'm looking for something I can carry every day at work in the truck.

How do the Vanguard Endeavor ED's compare? Reviews point out problems with chromatic aberration, but I think that might be in comparison with higher priced models. Are the Diamondbacks (which don't have ED glass) any better?

You may well receive numerous recommendations for possible alternative choices of 8x42s in the $200 to $300 range as that segment seems awash now in well regarded (for the price) models. To keep it simple and to respond regarding the specific manufacturers or "brands" you have mentioned, but not the exact models, I would tend toward the Vanguards for the ED glass. I have owned for several years the Vanguard 10.5x45 and gifted to my brother after using for a couple of years the Vanguard 8.5x45 model --but no experience with the 8x42. I have also owned for several years the made in Japan Vortex 15x56 HD and extensively tested before gifting to a friend the new Vortex Diamondback 8x28 (not the older "Classic" model). A Vortex Talon 10x32 HD (now discontinued) has been my truck binocular for 4 or 5 years now. All these are good at their price points. Keep in mind, "ED" glass at this price level does not mean what it means at the $2000 level.

All $200 roof prism binoculars willl have some CA and you have to pay a much higher price to get a substantial improvement in that area.

Personal ergonomic issues/preferences are very likely to be more important than probably slight differences in optical performance at this level so a possible strategy would be order the Vanguards from a seller with a good return policy, test them in differing conditions as much as you can while keeping them pristine for possible return and then take them to the store to compare directly with the Vortex to see what works better for you.

To expand just a bit, i would actually recommend you try to find a Vanguard 8.5x45 as they can often be found for $200 as well on Amazon. The extra .5 mag is noticeable and the 45 mm objectives gather more light than the 42mm.

it will be hard to go too far wrong as long as the ergonomics of any of these work for you.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Mike

Diamondback 2016 and HD

Hello all,

I'm looking for input from people who have handled these two binoculars. I'm looking at 8x42's. I live near a store that carries the Diamondbacks but not the Vanguards. Both of them can be had for under $200, and the Vanguard is even cheaper with the current rebate in the US.

The Vortex was nice when I looked through it. I liked the field of view and the close focus. It wasn't as nice as the Nikon Monarch 5's that I looked through, but I'm looking for something I can carry every day at work in the truck.

How do the Vanguard Endeavor ED's compare? Reviews point out problems with chromatic aberration, but I think that might be in comparison with higher priced models. Are the Diamondbacks (which don't have ED glass) any better?

Sadly I don’t have any experience of the Vanguard Endeavor ED (there are several lines of them, I recall, which increase dramatically in price and allegedly quality - the originals, and the ED II and ED IV. I guess you are looking at the originals, with the silver open bridge).

I have two pairs of Diamondback 8x42 in the family and like them both - and it’s not the pair of models that might have been often found together before, but the 2016 version and the just-introduced HD version, which you might not be aware of. The HD looks and feels identical to the 2016 version (a good thing in my book) aside from the badge and has the same close focus and wide field of view etc., but has updated glass types (presumably not quite ED unless Vortex simply never uses the term ED), different lens coatings which are more oil, water and scratch resistant, and they definitely have phase-correction coated prisms (stated on the packaging). The original, 2012-ish completely different-looking Diamondbacks had phase-corrected prisms and always stated it in any publicity, but I always noticed that Vortex’s own specs and promo videos never mentioned this feature for the 2016 range, and it wasn’t mentioned on the box either, which makes me suspect it wasn’t used. They upgraded the reflective surfaces of the prisms to dielectric on the 2016 models so perhaps the cost of that was the reason, but the HD ones also have this so they now have both of these desirable prism features.

I find the HDs have a subtle improvement with a reduction in CA. They’re about 10% more expensive where I am. Instead of the hard, black moulded zippered case of the 2016, they come with a beige, elastic-clipped flap pouch. I prefer this as the moulded case has no padding, is too large for the 8x42 pair and has no storage pockets - the new case is a snugger fit, is padded and has elasticated external mesh pockets. Both types come with a padded strap for the binoculars; the 2016 type have a simpler strap for the case which can be fitted or not, as required; the HDs include a binocular harness which can also be cunningly operated with the case.

Anyway, thought it was wise to be aware of this new choice in case the differences are significant to you. The 2016 variant, being the outgoing model, should offer a bit of extra opportunity to negotiate a discount, hopefully.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back