• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (1 Viewer)

Do any what a guess on what these are o:D.

Attachments

• Northumberland 186.jpg
    Northumberland 186.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Northumberland 2 220.jpg
    Northumberland 2 220.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 68
  • Northumberland 2 222.jpg
    Northumberland 2 222.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 55
In the past few days, I've searched high and low for hobbies. Dip dip dip dip dip. Depression. Hatred.

But just half and hour ago, in a secluded valley somewhere in Derbyshire, a funny sound could be heard. A happy birder doing a mixture of ticking and swearing!

Two soaring over my head, scything after the swallows and swifts. Magic!

Think I seen a Red Kite yesterday, well according to the thread I made in identification anyway. I've added it to my life list, it could have been Buzzard but well...couldn't resist

Hi everyone just come back from crete and i saw 6 lifers and they were 10 Griffin vultures, 1 lesser whitethrought, 50+ alpine swift, 4 red-rumped swallow, 1 audouins gull and 4 scopolis shearwater all the other birds i saw were hooded crows, chaffinch, goldfinch, buzzard, swallows, herring gull and swift.( Please check blog to se pics of the birds after 6pm )

Well done Reece. I really need a Mediterranean holiday. I'm stuck in Blackpool for the whole holidays. And the cars broken. :-C:C

Last edited:
Just got back from an amazing two-week holiday in western Poland with Simeon and Connor. We scooped 155 species - amazing for the time of year - including a few species not really recorded in the area before, and birds such as Black Woodpecker, Aquatic Warbler and White-tailed Eagle. We should be well-equipped for autumn migration! Other highlights included bouts of tripod jousting, a day trip in a dinghy, and wading through leech-infested swamp. I'll let you know when Simeon, Connor or I have finished out trip reports so you can read them or just look at the photos. Thanks to Wiktoria for her help and information on her amazing country!

TheSeagull - you need to add Poland to your gap-year itinerary!

Just got back from an amazing two-week holiday in western Poland with Simeon and Connor. We scooped 155 species - amazing for the time of year - including a few species not really recorded in the area before, and birds such as Black Woodpecker, Aquatic Warbler and White-tailed Eagle. We should be well-equipped for autumn migration! Other highlights included bouts of tripod jousting, a day trip in a dinghy, and wading through leech-infested swamp. I'll let you know when Simeon, Connor or I have finished out trip reports so you can read them or just look at the photos. Thanks to Wiktoria for her help and information on her amazing country!

TheSeagull - you need to add Poland to your gap-year itinerary!

Wow!!! you will have to fill me in on all the little details on Msn later mate!:t:;)

My Polish year-list (from the two-week holiday) is 155 - only about 10 behind my UK yearlist (from 6 months in Norfolk!) - shows how little I've been bothered to get out really.
Birds of the trip were things like Aquatic Warbler and Black Woodpecker, also had Middle-Spotted Woodpecker, 13 species of raptor (highlights including lesser-spotted eagle, white-tailed eagle, honey buzzard, black kite etc.) and 16 species of warbler (highlights including icky, marsh, savi's, river, aquatic, barred and great reed...). Also loads of White Storks, Black Storks and Great-White Egrets!
Full trip report will probably take a while to do but will notify everyone when its done...good to be back! :t:

Last edited:
We scooped 155 species - amazing for the time of year - including a few species not really recorded in the area before, and birds such as Black Woodpecker, Aquatic Warbler and White-tailed Eagle.
Wow! This is 13 species more than I've seen in Poland since I started birding, I should be embarrassed!

I'll let you know when Simeon, Connor or I have finished out trip reports so you can read them or just look at the photos.
I'm looking forward to reading it!

Thanks to Wiktoria for her help and information on her amazing country!
You're welcome. I'm glad that Poland didn't disappoint you ^^

I told birderbf that Poland is a great place to bird in and you guys confirm it :t:

btw, yesterday another visit to Jamaica Bay with birderbf : 7 lifers and a Least Bittern among them ^^

I told birderbf that Poland is a great place to bird in and you guys confirm it :t:

btw, yesterday another visit to Jamaica Bay with birderbf : 7 lifers and a Least Bittern among them ^^

Poland sounds like a very good place to me, especially for someone who has barely birded in Europe. I have never really taken a walk in the woods off my continent. It's strange only birding from cities. For example, in Spain some towns had Gold and Greenfinches and there were Linnets and Serins in the less populated area, but I still couldn't dig up a Chaffinch. :C

That Least Bittern was only my second one ever, and my first in New York (which is now my primary listing region). It was my 314th species in the state, including several species not yet confirmed for the state list (including origin-uncertain geese) and a wandering Trumpeter Swan from the introduced population in Ontario. After taxes, that translates into 310 or thereabouts.

but I still couldn't dig up a Chaffinch.
There are lots of them in my neighborhood. This spring for two days I could even hear it from my room. But it used to be my the most embarrassing species that I hadn't seen for over one year after I started birding ;)

edited:

Chaffinch! I thought you meant Chiffchaff. I heard that a Chaffinch is the most numerous bird in Poland ^^ You can encounter it in the forests, parks and any other place where are at least a few trees

PS Sorry, English names are sometimes quite confusing for me!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back