• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Status of Great Grey Shrike (1 Viewer)

Lanius excubitor

Does anyone know what is the status of Great Grey Shrike in mainland Spain?

(I mean excubitor, not meridionalis)

Hi Gonçalo
You have probably have seen the entry on Lanius excubitor in Birds of the Iberian Peninsula (2015) de Juana and Garcia pp 551-552 and are looking for more recent information?
Best wishes
Graham

Hi Gonçalo
You have probably have seen the entry on Lanius excubitor in Birds of the Iberian Peninsula (2015) de Juana and Garcia pp 551-552 and are looking for more recent information?
Best wishes
Graham

Hi Graham,

I don't have that book you mention.

As far I know there there is a valid record in Navarra from 2010, is that the same one?

The purpose of my question is because I am trying to understand the likelyhood of some individuals reaching my home country, Portugal.

Where it states "Apparently a very scarce winter visitor to northernmost Spain".

Is that from the same book? If yes, I wonder how many records were used to reach the conclusion that it is "scarce winter visitor".

Helm's 'Birds of Spain' (3rd edition 2016) states under Great Grey Shrike that "Status uncertain but probably a scarce winter visitor to the N(orth)". As you will be aware the species was poorly covered in field guides into the 1990s and even then until Iberian Grey Shrike was 'split' few people bothered to be precise about which "Great Grey Shrike" they saw. I imagine past records are too muddied by these considerations to draw any conclusion from them whilst that the status still remains 'uncertain' suggests they're very scarce or even rare. It's probably worth checking the Rare Birds in Spain website for confirmed records.

Lanius excubitor in Spain

Hi Goncalo
Yes, the first accepted record (after the split) seems to be 9 December 2010 in Navarra as you say, but there have been quite a few others from August through to April but with most birds [92%] seen Oct - Feb: October c16 records; November c11; December c12; January c19; February c10 and March c4. The records range from Galicia, Asturias, Catalonia, Comunidad Valenciana and the Balearics (Cabrera). Most records are from the Biscay coastal areas. I think some of these records must be from before the split though, since some extend back to the 1990s when presumably they were identified as northern race birds. No records given for Portugal - yet!
Hope this helps.
Best wishes
Graham

Lanius excubitor in Spain

...sorry, meant to say yes, the book summarises status as "Apparently a very scarce winter visitor to northernmost Spain"

BW Graham

As you will be aware the species was poorly covered in field guides into the 1990s and even then until Iberian Grey Shrike was 'split' few people bothered to be precise about which "Great Grey Shrike" they saw.

True. Same with Iberian Chiffchaff, btw

Hi Goncalo
Yes, the first accepted record (after the split) seems to be 9 December 2010 in Navarra as you say, but there have been quite a few others from August through to April but with most birds [92%] seen Oct - Feb: October c16 records; November c11; December c12; January c19; February c10 and March c4. The records range from Galicia, Asturias, Catalonia, Comunidad Valenciana and the Balearics (Cabrera). Most records are from the Biscay coastal areas. I think some of these records must be from before the split though, since some extend back to the 1990s when presumably they were identified as northern race birds. No records given for Portugal - yet!
Hope this helps.
Best wishes
Graham

Yes, for those older records I'd say it's impossible to know which (sub)species was involved. Indeed no records for Portugal so far, maybe one day. |;|

Thanks all for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back