• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (2 Viewers)

And, of course, some more:

De Havilland 88 Comet (winner of the 1934 London to Melbourne race) and Percival Mew Gull (which broke the London to Capetown record) - in each case, yes, this actual aircraft

The DH 88 is one of those few aircraft whose elegance of line is just perfect.

Oh, and its designer's cousin died just a few days ago aged 104...
MJB

All right, any excuse: a couple of shots of G-BYGC in the BOAC retro scheme coming out of Heathrow, photographed from Stanwell Moor: literally the last week before work sent me home and told me to stay there.

(Incidentally, talking of the Comet, have you noticed the line of the 787's nose? A belated admission from Boeing that de Havilland got it exactly right, if you ask me.)

John

John, your photos are just stunning.

It seems many many years ago when I used to love watching BOAC 707s, VC10s, and then 747s dropping into Manchester Airport when I lived near there as a kid. And also things like British Caledonian 707s, TWA and Pan Am 707s, Spantax CV990s, Air Spain DC-8s, Laker DC-10s, Wardair 747s, Trans Europa Caravelle's, BEA Viscounts plus so much more. Happy days!!

I used to have a Canon AE1 (I think?) and loved going to airports and airshows. Got albums full of 6 x 4's, but I envy the clarity obtained by John in his exceptional photos. Favourite places were Hotel Emmantina at Athens with its rooftop area and pool, Miami International, and Frankfurt. But I also loved Fairford Air Show to see the fast jets.

Nowadays I collect diecast 1/400 model airliners and 1/72 WW2 planes as a reminder of those great days- just love the Spitfire and Hurricane, and those German Heinkel's, Stuka's and ME109's. Just recently I obtained a Defiant, built a mile from where I live now on the outskirts of Wolverhampton by Bolton-Paul.

Last edited:
I was up at Lakenheath Fen today, lots of flying activity. Can anyone confirm if this is, specifically, an F15C?

Thanks.

Attachments

• F15-Eagle_small.jpg
    F15-Eagle_small.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 25
Cockpit canopy looks more akin to a 2 seater variant ( D or E ). Any more images ie showing full number on tail fin? Not sure whether it reads AF 84, 94 or 04.

Last edited:
I was up at Lakenheath Fen today, lots of flying activity. Can anyone confirm if this is, specifically, an F15C?

Thanks.

The camouflage pattern and the yellow-bordered black tail band, with the long shallow cockpit canopy, confirm that this is an F15C from the 493rd Fighter Squadron: the pure air superiority squadron of the 48th (Liberty) Wing USAF based at RAF Lakenheath.

F15Es are all uniform very dark gray (concession to US sensibilities) - don't know what the official name of the colour is, sorry. F15Cs and the couple of two-seat Ds with the 493rd are pale gray ground colour with large blotches of a mid-gray on fins, wings and upper decking.

And I agree the serial is 84001.

John

John, your photos are just stunning.

It seems many many years ago when I used to love watching BOAC 707s, VC10s, and then 747s dropping into Manchester Airport when I lived near there as a kid. And also things like British Caledonian 707s, TWA and Pan Am 707s, Spantax CV990s, Air Spain DC-8s, Laker DC-10s, Wardair 747s, Trans Europa Caravelle's, BEA Viscounts plus so much more. Happy days!!

I used to have a Canon AE1 (I think?) and loved going to airports and airshows. Got albums full of 6 x 4's, but I envy the clarity obtained by John in his exceptional photos. Favourite places were Hotel Emmantina at Athens with its rooftop area and pool, Miami International, and Frankfurt. But I also loved Fairford Air Show to see the fast jets.

Nowadays I collect diecast 1/400 model airliners and 1/72 WW2 planes as a reminder of those great days- just love the Spitfire and Hurricane, and those German Heinkel's, Stuka's and ME109's. Just recently I obtained a Defiant, built a mile from where I live now on the outskirts of Wolverhampton by Bolton-Paul.

I've been photographing aircraft since I was a kid and my Mum got me a Kodak Retinette fixed lens camera, so I never went the Instamatic route but straight into f-stops and shutter speeds. My first SLR was a frighteningly clunky Russian Zenith EM, then I used Mum's old Pentax when she upgraded, and finally went to Canon and moved into DSLRs with them. I often look at old pictures and lament not having the gear then that I've got now, with not-quite-sharp or badly lit pictures of types gone for ever.

John

The camouflage pattern and the yellow-bordered black tail band, with the long shallow cockpit canopy, confirm that this is an F15C from the 493rd Fighter Squadron: the pure air superiority squadron of the 48th (Liberty) Wing USAF based at RAF Lakenheath.

F15Es are all uniform very dark gray (concession to US sensibilities) - don't know what the official name of the colour is, sorry. F15Cs and the couple of two-seat Ds with the 493rd are pale gray ground colour with large blotches of a mid-gray on fins, wings and upper decking.

And I agree the serial is 84001.

John

John, Pat, Andy,

Thank you for your help. Especially to John for the extra detail.

I love F15s but am surprised that in this day and age there is a perceived role for them still. I thought they were being retired?

I presume they have had avionics upgraded? Much prefer them to the horrible looking thing the RAF have now bought from the US.

I believe they are still upgrading them and looking to be flying variants for another 20 years eg Super Eagles and EX.

Lakenheath is preparing the infrastructure to receive some F35s in 2025?

I'm getting quite fond of the overhead silhouette of the F35s when they cruise low and directly overhead rather than side on - I was lucky to see two returning pairs join up to a four ship formation a few weeks back. .... giving me my little private airshow display for the year. " Flying Brick " is a tad unfair - if its fast, loud and pulling high Gs it is fine by me.

I believe they are still upgrading them and looking to be flying variants for another 20 years eg Super Eagles and EX.

Lakenheath is preparing the infrastructure to receive some F35s in 2025?

I'm getting quite fond of the overhead silhouette of the F35s when they cruise low and directly overhead rather than side on - I was lucky to see two returning pairs join up to a four ship formation a few weeks back. .... giving me my little private airshow display for the year. " Flying Brick " is a tad unfair - if its fast, loud and pulling high Gs it is fine by me.

In another place I frequent they call it "Dave" because they think it's boring, but I'm with you Pat.

The USAF approach appears to be two-track, recognising that the full-on stealth weaponry is very expensive and for most purposes overkill, they have enough of that to kick the door in and once that is done the Eagles will swarm in.

We're going much the same way: our Typhoons are unstealthy but hot ships in every other respect and can be all over anything the Lightnings (I hate calling it that, there's only one kind of RAF Lightning) aren't needed to handle.

I think I remember reading that Lakenheath will get 2 squadrons of F-35As to replace F-15Es but retain one squadron of Eagles in the wing (possibly those will be F-15Es rather than Cs).

John

Absolutely, only ever one Lightning. :t:

Wonder why the USA didn't follow up Falcon, Eagle, Raptor - --- Hawk, Goshawk, Merlin, Harrier, Buzzard and Kestrel already taken I guess.

Last edited:
Had a pair of Spitfires pass through Dundee airport today on their way north to Inverness, one being the Silver Spitfire that flew around the world, the other a two-seater, so popped down for a look and to grab a few photos.

More photos on my Twitter page - www.twitter.com/SFbirding
or on my Flickr page - www.flickr.com/stonefaction

Attachments

• 50286564173_ab867ef121_c.jpg
    50286564173_ab867ef121_c.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 50287397382_be32c9b03a_c.jpg
    50287397382_be32c9b03a_c.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 50286571823_4705bc9f7a_c.jpg
    50286571823_4705bc9f7a_c.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 19