• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Egret on garden list (1 Viewer)

Richard D

what was that...
Supporter
United Kingdom
My wife and I woke up to a good covering of snow yesterday, and lept into the air with joy when the radio announced our work place was closed for the day.

As we were up we went for a walk over Ham Marshes enjoying trying to work out what the animal tracks were. A good flock of Redwing and a couple of Fieldfare were feeding on the last of the Hawthorn (I was hoping for Waxwings but the Redwings were a great sight). Found a Spotted Redshank on Oare Creek and spent a few minutes watching a small group of Corn Buntings by Faversham Creek. Walking back a large flock of Wigeon noisily came in over head and joined a few Teal, Tufted Duck and Shoveler on the Gravel Pit. A small flock of Reed Buntings were feeding on the weeds that have grown up on a bank where a track has been cut through the field.

Walking into town a Lapwing surprised me by following the creek down to the brewery - I've never seen them so close to habitation.

The snow had brought Chaffinches into the garden (which for me are an irregular sight), but the day was topped when my neighbour knocked to point out a Little Egret in the garden.

Richard

robinm said:
Nice one Richard (having just read this on KOSnet as well).

Thanks Robin - I'm just glad that I've managed to revive my neighbours interest in birds to the point that he knocked. I'm only a couple of minutes walk from the creek, where I see one fairly frequently so it's not a particularly surprising finding. From my wanders around the local marshes and creeks I'd guess that Little Egrets out number the local Grey Herons. They seem to be doing incredibly well. Resident Spoonbills next?

I've only just joined KOS - I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

Richard

Richard D said:
Thanks Robin - I'm just glad that I've managed to revive my neighbours interest in birds to the point that he knocked. I'm only a couple of minutes walk from the creek, where I see one fairly frequently so it's not a particularly surprising finding. From my wanders around the local marshes and creeks I'd guess that Little Egrets out number the local Grey Herons. They seem to be doing incredibly well. Resident Spoonbills next?
I saw 42 Little Egret at Oare last autumn. Amazing sight. Hope you are right about Sponbills.

Richard D said:
I've only just joined KOS - I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

Richard
You might see my name as you look at their website.

robinm said:
I saw 42 Little Egret at Oare last autumn. Amazing sight. Hope you are right about Spoonbills.

You might see my name as you look at their website.

Fingers crossed for the Spoonbills (I've missed everyone, but theyseem to be turning up very regularly).

Nice website :)

Richard

Richard D said:
My wife and I woke up to a good covering of snow yesterday, and lept into the air with joy when the radio announced our work place was closed for the day.

The snow had brought Chaffinches into the garden (which for me are an irregular sight), but the day was topped when my neighbour knocked to point out a Little Egret in the garden.

Richard

Egret in your garden - WOW!!! I assume that you are a teacher? confirmed in your public profile. Guess what I do?

Jaxman said:
Egret in your garden - WOW!!! I assume that you are a teacher? confirmed in your public profile. Guess what I do?

Not a teacher but I do work in education (database work). My wife teaches though.

The snow brought in Yellowhammers yesterday (a flock of about 20 to the field at the bottom of the garden but a couple flew up into the hedgerow that marks my boundary so they can go on the garden list). They're the first I've seen for a couple of years. I quite like this snow!

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back