• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

S. Australia raptor IDs? (1 Viewer)

Golfer1

While in Aus. in March SW of Melbourne we saw some distant raptors and would like some opinions on what they might be. Thanks, and sorry about the poor photos - they were distant!
1&2) Raptor on pole flew off just as I spotted it - looks pale on the belly.
3) This one has spots below - should be distinctive if only I knew!
4) Kestrel eating on the wing - maybe Nankeen kestrel?
Thanks

Attachments

• 5J9A6045.jpg
    5J9A6045.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 5J9A6046 raptor pale below.jpg
    5J9A6046 raptor pale below.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 56
  • 5J9A6066 raptor qu.jpg
    5J9A6066 raptor qu.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 5J9A6087 kestrel OTW.JPG
    5J9A6087 kestrel OTW.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 43
While in Aus. in March SW of Melbourne we saw some distant raptors and would like some opinions on what they might be. Thanks, and sorry about the poor photos - they were distant!
Thanks

Re 1 & 2, the palish chest in 1 suggests Brown Falcon (if it is a falcon), although the translucent inner primaries and the secondaries possibly suggest an immature Black Falcon...
MJB

The first bird 1) & 2) seemed about the same size as the harrier. Had a very striped tail like a sparrowhawk and stripes on the ends of the wing feathers plus some pale patches on the front undersides of the wings.

Attachments

• 5J9A6047.JPG
    5J9A6047.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 38
Re 1 & 2, the palish chest in 1 suggests Brown Falcon (if it is a falcon), although the translucent inner primaries and the secondaries possibly suggest an immature Black Falcon...
MJB

For info I'm sure you are right it was a Brown Falcon as I found another better shot a few days later from the same spot. Also saw a Black Kite in that same area near Point Cook. I saw the other attached birds A-C a little inland, are they all whistling kites? The tail on C is just a different shape to the others.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 5J9A7351.JPG
    5J9A7351.JPG
    416.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 5J9A7296.JPG
    5J9A7296.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 23
  • 5J9A7287 (800x641).jpg
    5J9A7287 (800x641).jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 39
Thanks

1 & 2 - to me fit Brown Falcon, especially the brown 'thighs'.
4 - you're right with Nankeen Kestrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back