• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

Melodious Warbler on the Farnes today - a first for the county if I'm not mistaken. Still only one record for Durham, a real rarity in the north-east.

Mark

NEWT/NTBC Pelagics update

Morning all

We're down to our last few pelagic spaces for this year, so please give us a call on O167O 827465 to book on any of these;

Thursday August 12th. 10hr pelagic to the Farne Deeps, departing Royal Quays at 08:00. £60/person. 4 places remaining.

Saturday September 4th. 8hr pelagic departing Royal Quays at 09:00. £45/person. 1 place remaining.

Saturday September 18th. 8hr pelagic departing Royal Quays at 09:00. £45/person. 1 place remaining.

cheers
martin

terns

I was one of the wardens there this year. We packed up on 29th July, a couple of days after the last Little Tern fledged. The best time to visit is in the second half of June. Anyway, it was a relatively successful season with 31 pairs of Little Tern fledging 11 young and approximately 900 pairs of Arctic Tern fledging 275 young.

Went to Long Nanny earlier in the week. There were no Little Terns and just 3 adult arctics and 2 juvs. The wardens hut was all closed up. I assume I left it too late. Off back south at the weekend. Seen some good birds. I will probably write up a trip report but for now I have been updating my blog below while I have been up here. Thanks for all your help

Please find attached details of a forthcoming Field Trip for NTBC members (and individuals considering joining the club) to Saltholme RSPB and the surrounding area in September.

Attachments

• SaltholmeRSPB-Sept10.pdf
    85.6 KB · Views: 84
Sea watching this morning. Wet and 'orrible but great! Short precis on my blog.

As much as I tried I could only get 2 of your 3 from yesterday, Mr M.

A two and a half hour sea watch from Snab Point produced 7 Sooties, 12 Bonxies, 4 Arctic Skua, c250 Manxies, lots of Fulmars and Millions or Kittiwakes and Gannets. But no Velvet Scoter. :-C

I had a quick look on the beach at East Chev and had a near summer plum Grey Plover fly by.

Bloody (St.) Mary('s)!

13:30 for two hours at the sea watching hide this afternoon had hods of Gannets (N), which dried up by 14:30 and then hods of Kittiwakes in the same direction. Several Great Skua (N), and half a dozen Arctics up and down hassling the terns. One Grey Plover (N) and two duos of Common Scoter (N) (they arrived as Velvets but knowing Vipers was at Snab I used blackboard paint in all the right places). Nothing exciting on the skua, shearwater or diver front.

What hides in long vegitation and goes 'crek crek'? If I was in Scotland and it said 'cre crek crek etc etc' for ages, I would say Corncrake.

I was in the hide nearest the road at Chevington at 15:30 and 'crek crek', then nothing. Twenty minutes later from the same direction 'crek crek' and then nothing.

Basso profundo Sandwich Tern with Laryngitis throwing it's voice? Massive bush cricket? Anyone else been today and heard strange noises?

More of my day in the blog.

Ravens

hello all,

I've been birding for a few years now (Not intensively) and I still haven't seen a Raven, my favourite bird of all. Its getting ridiculous. Saw one in South of France, but need to see one in home county.

Have heard Harthope valley's a good place. Have been a few times but no joy. So am gonna camp around Cheviot next week to maximise chances. Hen hole am gonna check, the bizzle.

Can anyone please give me some good information on this. Specific whereabouts, recent sightings? Would really appreciate it, thanks. :smoke:

late teatime trip to Hauxley yesterday.....good wader numbers::Knot, Dunlin, Curlew, Turnstones, Oystercatchers, Lapwing, a couple of Bar Tailed Godwits and a Juvenile Ruff(lifer). Loads of Canada Geese, Mallards, couple of Gadwall, Teal, Pochard, Shelduck,Tufties,Heron,
Willow Warbler,Goldfinch..
as i was leaving a Barn Owl was hunting over the dunes and a Stoat ran across the track.

Last edited:
From Birdguides. Sykes's Warbler, one or a Booted Warbler in bushes in dunes north of CP and south of Hadston Carrs crossroads this evening.

If you can separate them, Good luck!!

Last edited:
Theres a remarkable lack of news flow about this bird. Isnt this a first for the county ?

tbh I dont get excited about warblers, but I assumed that more `splash` would be made by this one.

There have been two updates on Birdguides between 07:30 and 09:16 this morning, images posted in several places on the night the bird was found. Maybe everyone is either at work or concentrating on getting there and seeing the bird?

Theres a remarkable lack of news flow about this bird. Isnt this a first for the county ?

tbh I dont get excited about warblers, but I assumed that more `splash` would be made by this one.

Like Alan said, many interested birders would be travelling/on-site. Or stuck at work behind a computer...

A massive bird for the county. The only birds to have stuck more than a day have been on Shetland/Fair Isle/Orkney. A subtle but fascinating warbler and a proper 'birder's bird' - so wish it had been 30 miles further south!

How can you not get excited about warblers!?

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back