• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (1 Viewer)

Thanks

Deugar/Woodhorn/Martin - grateful for the pointers. Ta. Beacon Hill Wood did the trick with three Redstarts this afternoon in the SW area.

And from the five bar gate, in the saplings to the NW.........

Attachments

• Tree Pipit.JPG
    Tree Pipit.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 132
cuckoo and tree pipit beacon hill this morning

I had the cuckoo there on the 20th. I reported it to Birdguides (twice) to let people know because it was an early record for the county (I think it might be my personal earliest ever in the county), but they didn't put it out, presumably because it's a "common species", even though they reported cuckoos from further south only the day before. They can whistle in future as far as I'm concerned.

I was back there yesterday watching tree pipits when the cuckoo came right overhead calling.

Attachments

• Cuckoo bf small copy.jpg
    Cuckoo bf small copy.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
White Stork

13:40 today. Driving into Druridge Bay car park saw a large bird being mobbed by a crow. Thought it was a heron at first but as I got closer realised it was much bigger with far bigger wingspan. Could clearly see Stork like white and black on underside of wings. Was struggling in the wind but looked like it was trying to get north west.

Hmm.. was driving South from Bedlington at around 10.30am with the family when I saw something extremely large circling very high up above the wind turbines at Plessey (Cramlington/Hartford). It looked big for heron and just didn't feel like a heron in the way it was flying - felt odd enough that I wanted to get a better look.

I pulled in to a layby but the bird was high up in poor light (lots of dark cloud around) and I just couldn't get a good enough view to come to a definitive conclusion, but as the stork was reported in Durham earlier and then Cresswell and Druridge later I guess there's a fair chance that was it.

Last edited:
Always nice to hear other people reporting consistently with what you thought you saw although I think in this case even I was certain! Quite distinctive.

Night Fever

Night Heron still at Lesbury at 21:10 hrs. Favours the faster water just to the east of the viaduct. Flew from up river (somewhere level with Bilton Wood) and landed as above at 20:50 where it started hunting. Unbelieveable!
Record shot taken after 21:00 hrs, whilst lying prone in the wet grass/nettles in the dark(ish) and evening chill. Madness!!

Attachments

• Night Heron.jpg
    Night Heron.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 103
Night Heron still at Lesbury at 21:10 hrs. Favours the faster water just to the east of the viaduct. Flew from up river (somewhere level with Bilton Wood) and landed as above at 20:50 where it started hunting. Unbelieveable!
Record shot taken after 21:00 hrs, whilst lying prone in the wet grass/nettles in the dark(ish) and evening chill. Madness!!
Nice bird!....Got me thinking about the one's flying free around Edinburgh zoo many years ago. Wonder what happened to them?

Nice bird!....Got me thinking about the one's flying free around Edinburgh zoo many years ago. Wonder what happened to them?

I think I'm correct in saying that there is one still left alive that occasionally returns to the Zoo or at least is seen in the vicinity; the others are presumed to be dead.
However worth pointing out that our county recorder was clear that this individual is unringed when I spoke to him this evening.

Tim Dean has posted slightly more complimentary pictures than Gordon's, albeit obtained with less drama (;))on the NTBC Sightings page. (http://ntbcsightings.posterous.com)

Last edited:

Pleased it turned up again for you Gordon. I left a bit earlier when the light was fading and I felt the need to get home to watch The Sopranos with a glass of gin.

After we saw it fly off from the bend above the viaduct I walked as far as the farm, but there was so much cover it could have been anywhere.

LOL - they are still there, photographed them just a couple of months back. Apparently (according to one of the keepers) they are no longer captive and keep returning to the zoo - must be for the free fish they get.

Attachments

• DSC_6709-03-02-11_1882.jpg
    DSC_6709-03-02-11_1882.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 73
I think I'm correct in saying that there is one still left alive that occasionally returns to the Zoo or at least is seen in the vicinity; the others are presumed to be dead.
However worth pointing out that our county recorder was clear that this individual is unringed when I spoke to him this evening.

Tim Dean has posted slightly more complimentary pictures than Gordon's, albeit obtained with less drama (;))on the NTBC Sightings page. (http://ntbcsightings.posterous.com)

I saw Tim and Janet as they were leaving, Janet had a cracking sketch of the bird.

The problem was, I though that was going to be the only sight I had when I got to the bridge and it had gone missing.

Time and patience worked and we refound it (briefly). County tick for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back