• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lark ID questions, Spain 2019 (1 Viewer)

Sangahyando

Germany
I've come across quite a few larks this year, but some of them are less easy to ID than others. I'm fairly confident that I've seen Thekla's several times, given the songs, calls, underwing patterns and habitats of the birds involved, but I'd like to be able to tell if any of my pictures show this species (and not Crested Lark, which was quite abundant and which I've seen many times before), as I didn't have previous experience with it.
The ones in the pictures below were spotted in olive groves on the slopes of a hill in southern Extremadura, Spain, June of this year. Apologies for the low resolution, the images were heavily cropped and my camera isn't the best. I hope some of the relevent details will be visible nonetheless.

Attachments

• DSCF6216a.JPG
    DSCF6216a.JPG
    492.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF6235a.JPG
    DSCF6235a.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF5839a.JPG
    DSCF5839a.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 45
The first two pictures show Thekla's I reckon. The bird in flight is more difficult - warm tones to uwcs suggest Crested, if it can be trusted.

The first two pictures show Thekla's I reckon. The bird in flight is more difficult - warm tones to uwcs suggest Crested, if it can be trusted.
Thanks :t: Regarding the third, I was initially convinced - not having looked closely at the shot - that it was a Greater Short-toed Lark (there were several of those around, and we did manage to get notes and pictures), but I guess the chest pattern should rule that one out.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back