• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

robin mating behavior (1 Viewer)

vicky@glos

Hi all,
Just looking at my garden birds today and noticed something the robins are up two.

I noticed two males with their heads up into the sky almost and they were singing to the female robin.

Anyone else noticed this ?

Vicky@glos

Forgot to say this :-
I also noticed that the males were moving their heads side to side as if to show off their red chests.

O.k. Thats all on this matter for now.

Vicky

In 'The Life Of The Robin', David Lack reports that 'apart from the feeble swaying of the body, noticed on only two occasions, the male seems to have no pre-mating display at all'. However, I believe most of his observations were of captive birds in an aviary, so their natural behaviour may differ from this.

Tony

Our Robins don't come back till late March or early April,but when I start seeing them again,I will pay closer attention to their movements and check this out.

Vicki
Robins here are abundant and we are noticing displaying behaviours already. The Males are swaying as mentioned but they are also head skywards and singing... they have also been observed beaking back and forth... I am thinking that we are both seeing similar behaviours and maybe some lucky female robin is watching all this robin come on...

im afraid its still freezing here and the male robins seem to be tolerating each other really well they dont seem to be acting territorial at all yet,maybe there all just hungry and using their energy on finding food.i will take more notice though of their behaviour,when their following me and my rake.

TonyK: You are absolutely right. The American Robin is nothing like the English (British sorry) one. The American Robin resembles the British Thrush, except it has a red breast. I think the only similarity is that they both eat worms (((giggle))).

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back