• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird birds could I get here in france? (1 Viewer)

birdermoose

birder
I am going here http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=her...ent=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl in France for a week in mid July and I am wondering what are some rare British birds that are found in this area and what French birds are found in this area.
Lastly what are the chances of me seeing
Great Grey Shrike
Red-backed Shrike
Golden Oriole
Spotted Crake
Black Woodpecker
Middle-Spotted woodpecker
Grey-headed woodpecker
Short-toed Treecreaper
Little Bittern
Crested Tit
As these are my Target birds.
Any help would be fantastic;)
Hadden

Hadden.
I lived not far from there and never saw any GGS other than in the winter,
only ever had one Red Backed Shrike, Middle Spotted Woodpecker in the Hesdin Forest but it is a big place and you can spend half a day there and see almost nothing.
Never came close to a Grey Headed Woodpecker but Black Woodpecker can be found with great difficulty in the area generally. It is worth the short trip to the reserve at Marquenterre where Black Woodpecker can be seen not far from the visitor centre. It is a bit Zoo-ey but there are free flying storks, egrets and night herons nesting, plus lots of other things. Bluethroats are in the area, look up Sailly Bray. Crested Tits and Short Toed can be found in many places, try the forest at Hardelot.
Golden Orioles are widespread, look for the poplars. I have never seen Spotted Crake or Little Bittern there but I am sure they are there somewhere.
As always you've got to get lucky.

regards
Merlin

Hadden.
I lived not far from there and never saw any GGS other than in the winter,
only ever had one Red Backed Shrike, Middle Spotted Woodpecker in the Hesdin Forest but it is a big place and you can spend half a day there and see almost nothing.
Never came close to a Grey Headed Woodpecker but Black Woodpecker can be found with great difficulty in the area generally. It is worth the short trip to the reserve at Marquenterre where Black Woodpecker can be seen not far from the visitor centre. It is a bit Zoo-ey but there are free flying storks, egrets and night herons nesting, plus lots of other things. Bluethroats are in the area, look up Sailly Bray. Crested Tits and Short Toed can be found in many places, try the forest at Hardelot.
Golden Orioles are widespread, look for the poplars. I have never seen Spotted Crake or Little Bittern there but I am sure they are there somewhere.
As always you've got to get lucky.

regards
Merlin
Absolutely brilliant!:t::t::t:
Thanks ever so much this Information has helped so much.

you can check the sightings in Nord-Pas-De-Calais here : http://nordpasdecalais.observado.org/index.php?lang=en&local=xx

Great Grey Shrike, grey-headed woodpecke are not present in the area.

I don't know for red-backed shrike, spotted crake, middle-spotted woodpecker (anyway difficult in summer) and little bittern

Black Woodpecker are present in the forest near the coast south of Boulogne-sur-mer. Not the best time of year...You'll need luck
Short-toed Treecreaper is common in woodland, park,...
I don't know spot for golden oriole (not easy in July) and crested tit.

other interesting bird (for a British birder) are I think : spoobill (breeding in the Marquenterre), black-winged stilt, kentish plover, crested lark, bluethroat, savi's warbler (scarce), icterine (fairly common near Calais) and melodious warbler,...

FD

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back