• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Objective Covers (1 Viewer)

dries1

i have a new 8X42 B1, and the stock objective covers need replacing, I have been waiting for a month now from a large optic distributor for replacements (these are attached by the objective tube not by wire on the tripod cover). Any idea who else sells them, I am looking to cancel my order, it seems to me they ought to come out and tell you they don't know when they are going to get them, let the customer move on..

A.W.

Dries 1,
Technolyt in Wormerveer, Holland might be able to help you.
A question: do you really need objective covers?? They are in my opinion the most useless finding of the past years.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs,

Thanks for the suggestion, regarding objective covers, I use them when trekking through dense wood land since in the past, have done some coating damage to objectives. The Meoptas don't have much of a tube extension approaching the objectives, so unlike my other glass, cannot share common objective covers.
I do admit, some of the objective covers out there are overkill.

A.W.

I never use objective covers Andy and when forcing through scrub I have one hand on the binos and hold them so that while they are still hanging on the neckstrap the objective lenses are slightly turned in towards my body and the eyepiece lenses are protected by the rainguard. Having said all that, of all the many objective lens cover arrangements I have seen, the Meopta way that has them suspended by a short wire from a metal washer held behind the tripod adapter socket cover is the neatest, doesn't tangle and the covers don't get in the way of your hands grabbing the binos.

Lee

Lee, those are the ones with the wire I wanted to replace. I did find some new ones that attach to the tube and are made strictly for the Meoptas, I will provide a pic, with them later. Easier to take off, and I can use them on the 7X42 also.
How are the 8X32s treating you, it has the HD but wonder if it makes a difference, I will try to check them in Cabelas again to see if the eye cups are too small or if I can adapt. I think the 8X42 B1 is one of the best glass I have viewed with under $1000, the big difference between the Nikon MHG 8X42 is weight, 880 for the Meopta and 660 for the MHG. Here in the US and Canada, the prices for the 42 B1s are going s low as $600-$800 with a great warranty.

A.W.

When I ripped my objective cover on my B1s, I just called Meopta. They sent me 2 pair, free of charge. Now i have a back up.

Lee, those are the ones with the wire I wanted to replace. I did find some new ones that attach to the tube and are made strictly for the Meoptas, I will provide a pic, with them later. Easier to take off, and I can use them on the 7X42 also.
How are the 8X32s treating you, it has the HD but wonder if it makes a difference, I will try to check them in Cabelas again to see if the eye cups are too small or if I can adapt. I think the 8X42 B1 is one of the best glass I have viewed with under $1000, the big difference between the Nikon MHG 8X42 is weight, 880 for the Meopta and 660 for the MHG. Here in the US and Canada, the prices for the 42 B1s are going s low as $600-$800 with a great warranty.

A.W.

The 8x32s are Meopta's own and no Cabela Euros so they are not HD. I love the little MeoStars to bits and they give great views. The focusers on the B1 were designed with hunters in mind so they a bit stiff to move (so they can be set and then not move accidentally) so the MeoStar wouldn't cut it for fast observation scenarios like dragonflies or fast moving warblers in dense scrub, but for most applications I enjoy their feel of 'laboratory-standard precision'.

Lee

Lee,

Neither the 7 or 8X42 B1 are HD but the optics are great, and with a good warranty. The focus and diopter setting work very well for me, I like it on the firm side.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back