• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2008 Ultravid HD vs 2007 Ultravid (1 Viewer)

Tvc15_2000

No major breakthroughs – but evolution in the right direction.

Not much time on the new HDs but 2 things I noticed out of the box (today) about my HD10X32 vs my 2007 10x32 Ultravid

My sole reason for the HD is to see if it lowers or eliminates chromatic aberration.
CA is very low on my 2007 Ultravid. Today I could not find any CA with the 2007 and the HD no matter where I looked. So I have nothing to share on CA today.

At first glance indoors and outdoors – Looks great of course.

Here in the USA the 2007 Ultravids came with a lifetime warrantee. The HD card only lists a 10 year warrantee. I purchased mine from B&H and the web site says lifetime warrantee. The card says 10 years so I need to call Leica and get to the bottom of this. I am not comfortable I have accurate facts at this point.

Focus is about the same as my 2007 Ultravids with the HD having slightly less resistance in a side by side comparison. My 2007’s focus perfectly (all 4 pair). No big deal here with either 2007 or HD.(for me). 2007 sometimes takes 2 fingers to focus when I am tired. HD is clearly one finger smooth focus, but not a frictionless no effort pinky focus.

There is no raised rubber index mark on my focus knob of the HD. My 2007 Ultravid has a raised rib on the focus knob which I know where to position for approximate distance by touch. I like that feature since it allows me to pre focus. I can live without it on my HD but thought I would mention it. I can use the face of the diopter dial as a visual index but I liked the rubber index I could adjust by feel.

The diopter window is the same on my HD as it is on the 2007 model. The Leica site shows a smaller window surrounded with black

Anecdotal impression. With one lunch time of viewing on a sunny blue sky winter day I can see a difference. Color on the HD does appear more life like than even the outstanding Ultravid. Dim shadow color does (in my eye) have better color. Sharpness is outstanding on both but the HD appears to control internal reflection a hair better which improves the view by making it even more flare free and transparent.

Color overall seems a tad better to me in the sense that there appears to be less glass influence on the image and more transparency when viewed side by side to me when I view (if that makes sense). Without an immediate side by side there would be no difference. Color is rich, saturated and accurate on both. In my mind - just a little better on the HD especially in lower light - noticable but not major.

Indoors looking at a resolution card in dim light the white on the card looked more off white with the 2007 and a shade whiter with the HD. While the resolution was about equal it actually looks a tad sharper due to the brighter image of the HD. In bright light the 10x32s are equaly sharp. The 10x32s 2007 & 2008 are the sharpest binoculars I own. They are slightly sharper than my 10x42s

Build quality on 2007 & HD are flawless. Box, neck strap and packaging look the same (to me from memory).

No major breakthroughs – just refinement

You can balance all this with the excitement of my first hour with the HD.

Last edited:
Robert,

Have you looked at the warrenty information provided with your HDs to see if the warrenty period is still Lifetime or has been reduced to 10 years?

-Mike

Robert,

Have you looked at the warrenty information provided with your HDs to see if the warrenty period is still Lifetime or has been reduced to 10 years?

-Mike

Hi Mike,

10 years it is! I suspect the change in policy reflects financial rather than product quality issues. Still, not bad though. And I've found non-warrantied services on other bins to be reasonable in cost. For those willing to drop 2K on a pair of bins, I doubt that a 200.00 tune-up every 11 years is going to be a real issue.

Robert

When I was in Cameraland last week, I was told Leica had just changed their warranties: now 10 years for new and I think the certified preowned is now 5. The existing Ultravids still have the Passport for new.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back