• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

spurn point east riding of yorkshire (1 Viewer)

birdbrainer

but some people call me Helen!!
Thought spurn point looked an interesting and un usual place to go. Surfed the web and got got info, then went over today. What a strange place! A long spit of sand dunes covered with grass and low growing bushes and hawthorn trees, that juts out into the Humber estuary. Its now owned by Yorkshire Wildlife Trust. At the end of the spit are many fortifications built during second world war.
Anyway on to the birds.......................rather disappointing really. However, I did see my first stonechat and oyster catcher. Im fairly new to this game! There were other waders but couldnt tell what they were! I was just pleased to have seen and identified something new!:t:

Spurn ain't the best place in winter. Try it again in spring. There is a 'Yorkshire Birding' thread which is worth visiting. Might get some inspiration and you can ask for info on local sites. Hope to see you there in future. Cheers.

Spring and autumn are the best times to visit Spurn especially when there is a easterly wind blowing.It can be amazing place for seeing big falls of migrants.

Spurn ain't the best place in winter. Try it again in spring. There is a 'Yorkshire Birding' thread which is worth visiting. Might get some inspiration and you can ask for info on local sites. Hope to see you there in future. Cheers.

hello - thanks i I have been on yorkshire thread and have read many of your threads already:t: Have posted a couple of times. Its quite a trek from Leeds but will give spurn a go in spring. Whens best month April or end of March? Oh and by the way where is tophill?

Tophill is 5 miles north of Beverley alongside the River Hull. It has 2 large reservoirs and several marshes and ponds. It currently has a Bittern wintering and there have been 2 Smew on the reserve recently.

Thamks for the info guys. Tophill sounds good. I like Beverley too so will arrange a trip out there very soon thanks. Saw a bittern last year at Potteric Carr but didn't manage to get a photo. Am better equipped with Cannon Eos 400d with zoom now and also got a scope. Would love to get into digiscoping but no spare cash at mo!

Tophill is 5 miles north of Beverley alongside the River Hull. It has 2 large reservoirs and several marshes and ponds. It currently has a Bittern wintering and there have been 2 Smew on the reserve recently.

Signed from A164 at Watton. Open to none members except Monday and Tuesday but there is a fee [£2.50?]. Bittern has only been seen a few time this winter in flight but if you're into photography there in good opportunities at the feeders at the moment and N.Lagoon during wader passage. If you read my posting today you'll see there is also plenty of other wildlife.

Thanks Tophill birder will plan my trip for next week probably. Weather looks bit rubbish for rest of this week.

To me Spurn Point is an extremely special place - 30 odd years ago I used to visit it in the autumn, there were always unexpected surprises and the area has an incredible atmosphere. My best birding buddy at the time even wanted to have his ashes scattered there. Like anywhere - as field skills develop more and more is seen and more wonderful experiences present themselves. Nowhere is this more true to me then the magical Spurn!

I must return one day!

Simon

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back