• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Alpha & Why (1 Viewer)

cycleguy

So, which alpha and why? (in a hundred four words or less)

For 7x...
For 8x...
For 10x...

I'd like the Leica for 7x, I know the choices are limited but I would like to compare it side by side with my 7x EDG. I'm leaning toward the 8x32 EDG as the favorite; the new alpha offerings haven't impressed me enough (at least of the ones I've found to try) and I like the single hinge configuration and focus ergonomics of the Nikon. For 10x, I recently handled three new alphas by two different companies and I wasn't that overtaken by any of them. I did have a falling out with 10x some time ago and it appears to just keep growing.

How 'bout you guys? :egghead:

CG

I would like to see the HT, EDG, and Leica, but Since I own the 8.5X42 and 10X50 SV, I guess they would be my choice until I see something else that might change my mind.

I`v made my choice in a 7x, UVHD+, would have liked to been able to try the EDG but never found one at any dealer I visited, I fear the UVHD+ may be the last and best 7x42 roof ever to be made given the formats demise.

8x, probably if I were to buy, I`d go with the EDG, I find the SF too big, the SV lacking in glare control, and I prefer my current UVHD+ to the 8x.

Can`t think of a good reason to get a 10x Alpha, I don`t care for 10x so a second tier would suffice for me.

Zeiss HT 8x42 would probably be the one if I decided to buy a brand new alpha. To me it is the sharpest and brightest out there.

It's really all up to personal preference, though; are you looking for brightness and CA control (HT)? edge to edge sharpness (EDG, SV)? vivid colors in a compact format (UV+)?

I`v made my choice in a 7x, UVHD+, would have liked to been able to try the EDG but never found one at any dealer I visited, I fear the UVHD+ may be the last and best 7x42 roof ever to be made given the formats demise.

T

Meopta do their B1 42mm series in a 7x but their distribution in the UK is in its infancy. Still, at least they offer a 7x.

Lee

my pet pair is Zeiss SF 8x42 (huge FOV and great optics) and Conquest HD 8x32 (fast focusing for dragonflies and butterflies).

If I was starting out with just one pair then Conquest HD 8x42 which offers great value for money.

Lee

For 7x...
For 8x...
For 10x...

I'd like the Leica for 7x, I know the choices are limited but I would like to compare it side by side with my 7x EDG. I'm leaning toward the 8x32 EDG as the favorite; the new alpha offerings haven't impressed me enough (at least of the ones I've found to try) and I like the single hinge configuration and focus ergonomics of the Nikon. For 10x, I recently handled three new alphas by two different companies and I wasn't that overtaken by any of them. I did have a falling out with 10x some time ago and it appears to just keep growing.

CG

7X- I only have one 7X and it's a SLC 7X42 and overall, it's a pretty good binocular. But I would like to give the Ultravid HD + a try.

8X- Easier than one might think. Swarovski SV 8X32. I have the 8X42 SF, 8.5X42 SV, 8X32 FL, and the 8X42 UV HD +. I feel the 8X32 SV is the best combination of size, ergonomics, features, and optics out there. Quite the overachiever for a 32mm. If size/weight is not an issue whatsoever, I feel the 8.5X42 SV is the best 42mm I have.

10X- I basically have 3 if you consider a Trinovid 10X42 along with a SV and a HT. This is a harder choice for me. I love that HT. But the flat field of the SV is nice. I'd probably go SV due to SONA's superior customer service in my experience.

How's this for heresy: sod the optics. I recently bought an "alpha" and I didn't care whether it was optically the best or worst of the bunch. They're all bleedin' "alphas" for F(rank's) sake! They're all very, very, good.

What I bought was physical size - on the pure and simple basis that I wanted my best (and most expensive!) binocular to be the one I had with me most of the time. In my camera bag. Whether I needed or wanted bins in my camera bag or not - not thinking, just there by default. In those circumstances, a small bin helps. Sure, some 12"x12" 8x93 alpha-brilliant 2.5kilo wonder-bin might be the optically best thing on the planet.

But no use to me if that lump is at home while I'm out in the field.

Far better to have my best binoculars also be the ones I have with me. But what would I know?

...Mike

Last edited:
8x32 SV and have done with it.

I use the Sightrons now, am ecstatic, and fine views in a low weight optic for prolonged carry. After the SV, nothing. If it's not light weight, I'm not insterested.

How's this for heresy: sod the optics. I recently bought an "alpha" and I didn't care whether it was optically the best or worst of the bunch. They're all bleedin' "alphas" for F(rank's) sake! They're all very, very, good.

What I bought was physical size - on the pure and simple basis that I wanted my best (and most expensive!) binocular to be the one I had with me most of the time. In my camera bag. Whether I needed or wanted bins in my camera bag or not - not thinking, just there by default. In those circumstances, a small bin helps. Sure, some 12"x12" 8x93 alpha-brilliant 2.5kilo wonder-bin might be the optically best thing on the planet.

But no use to me if that lump is at home while I'm out in the field.

Far better to have my best binoculars also be the ones I have with me. But what would I know?

...Mike

Mike

I absolutely agree with your attitude.

When we are clambering about on slippery rocks and seaweed next to the sea, carrying photo gear to photo inter-tidal marine life, we don't want to be carrying big, heavy, expensive bins due to the risks involved, no matter how good the customer service from the manufacturer. In these circumstances both my wife and I carry a pair of Terra 8x32s and guess what: we still get good views of everything we want to see. No its not the best possible view but it is more than usable and better than adequate. And more to the point having a pair of bins is far better than not carrying a pair.

It absolutely isn't always about the optics but that doesn't mean the best optics aren't wonderful to have and to use.

Lee

For 7x...
For 8x...
For 10x...

CG

7X - Dunno, never tried any...

8X - Tried a few roofs, currently have the EL 8x32 SV = WFOV, Nice DOF, Accurate Color Fidelity, Razor Sharp throughout view, Excellent Resolution, Compact and Lightweight, Great Eye Relief, Wonderful Adjustable Eye Cups, Quick picture acquisition...Overall, Great for Traveling!

10X - Tried many roofs, currently have the EL 10x50 SV = WFOV, Superb DOF, Accurate Color Fidelity, Razor Sharp throughout view, Excellent Resolution, Compact size & weight for a 50mm, Great Eye Relief, Wonderful Adjustable Eye Cups, Very Quick picture acquisition, has an "as if you are there" amazing ease of view...Overall, Great for Birding, Wildlife and Scenery!

Have another very nice 10X, the Habicht 10x40 WGA Porro, but that's for extreme Excursions, like when I climb Mt. Everest!! :eek!:

So CG, which alphas have "you tried" that don't impress you (probably all I mentioned above :-O), because, these aren't worth anything until you "See for Yourself"!

Ted

For 7x...
For 8x...
For 10x...

CG
For 7x...Zeiss 7x42 FL

For 8x...Swarovski 8x32 SV (Or Zeiss 8x42 SF and Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W)

For 10x...Swarovski 10x50 SV (Or Zeiss 10x42 SF)

These would be my choices because I like flat field roofs with sharp edges for my main birding binoculars. I have the Swarovski 8x32 SV and the Swarovski 10x50 SV but after trying the Zeiss SF's I think I could "suffer" with those also. They all have their strong and weak points and it is a matter of personal opinion. The Habicht 8x30 W gives you 3D that the roofs don't and amazing light transmission so it would be my alpha porro choice. The 10x50 SV because of it's 50mm aperture is such an easy 10x view that it is hard to beat for comfort. Of all the 7x's I have tried I liked the Zeiss FL the best.

Last edited:
For 7x... Ultravid+ 7x42

For 8x...Swaro SV 8x32. I like Uvid and Zeiss FL 8x32's as well, but Swaro has more ER, much more comfortable with glasses. If I didn't wear glasses I'd choose Uvid+ 8x32.

For 10x...never looked through a top 10x

Ah, for me the Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD was far too much to pass on, great mechanics and optics, and was part of a sell off the UV HD (at half price!) following the arrival of the HD+ range.

Ah, for me the Leica 7x42 Ultravid HD was far too much to pass on, great mechanics and optics, and was part of a sell off the UV HD (at half price!) following the arrival of the HD+ range.

Nice bargain there, well done!

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back