• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Golden Ring Switch Power 7/12x32 vs. Golden Ring HD 8x32 (1 Viewer)

KMC9

Hi everyone I've been reading these forums for years as an optics nut, finally joined today to be able to post.

I have an opportunity to purchase a used set of Leupold Golden Ring HD 8x32 binoculars which I've read so many rave reviews about. However these are out of town so I haven't been able to compare side by side with what I have. I only want to add them to my bino collection if they would be a marked improvement over my current favorite set.

My current favorite pair of binoculars I own are the 7/12x32 switch power binoculars which I've had for about 4 years now. At 7 power alone I prefer them over every other 7x binocular I've owned or handled including the Swarovski SLC 7x30, Swift Eaglet 7x36, and even the Zen Ray 7x36 (the zen was a tad brighter and wider FOV but found the Leupold GR to be sharper, better contrast, better color saturation). And I've come to the point that I can't live without the ability to instantly go to 12x, I love them and will probably never give them up.

A couple years ago I had the chance to compare my GR 7/12x32 side by side with some Leupold GR NON-HD 8x32. At the time I remember not seeing a better view from the 8x32's over my 7/12x32's. Has anyone tried the switch 7/12x32 side by side with the GR HD 8x32 ??

I know there's a few threads on here comparing the non-HD with HD 8x32, but was hoping someone might have a direct comparison of the the 7/12x32 and 8x32 HD.

Thanks!

I have both pairs and can't fault either of them. Almost never use the switch power in 12x. You loose brightness at 12x and gain very little in detail. The 8x32's are too heavy for a long hiking trip. Both have great eye relief.

Thanks oldfortyfive. Do you feel the 8x32 HD is a clear step up in image over the 7/12x32 ? or do you find it very similar

I too use it mostly at 7x, but I've had plenty of situations, especially hunting where I was able to discern the detail I needed at 12x that I couldn't at 7x which for me is a huge plus.

I got the switch powers on a closeout at Cableas for under $500, a steal at he time. I use them both an can't say I favor one over the other. Image wise they are both better than my eyes can tell.

I had the 7/12x32 Switch powers for some time. I gave them every chance I could. I no longer have them. While they are a decent enough small binocular at 7x, they offered absolutely no optical gain over the Swift 7x36 Eaglet I had. Both of those were somewhat lacking in apparent field of view, the Leupold more so than the Swift, even though the both had the same 7.2* fov.

I really found no good use for the 12x. With the exception they were very good in close...very, very good. I am ion complete agreement with the above statement about loosing brightness as well as detail at 12x, that view is just not worth very much. Past about 100 yards there was just a big blur. The first ones I had quickly developed issues with switching powers. Those went back twice, if memory serves. Finally Leupold replaced those with another. It was a better binocular, but never could convince me to keep it. The switch power mechanism is the weak link, and I would predict with some degree of confidence it will eventually fail. What stock of parts for those Leupold has, I have no idea, but I'd call them and ask.

The Gold Ring is one of the better binoculars that can be bought, in my opinion. I would strongly recommend those. The only people who complain about the weight of the Gold Ring are those who don't own one (for the most part anyway). The do not feel nearly as heavy as the scales say they are. I have the Gold Ring HD in 8x42 and I will likely always have it.

The Switch power is optically a level below (at least a level) the Gold Ring.

Last edited:
Optically the 832HD perform better than the switch power, but they serve for different function. None could replace each other. FYI, I have/had Alpen Rainier (said to be same as GR non-hd) 8x32, 10x32, GR10x32HD & the switch power.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back