• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gwent birding (1 Viewer)

roundabout on bryn serth road - cuckoo heard then seen this evening in the small group of trees to the north west corner of the roundabout. got to within 10m of it.
plenty of swifts and swallows feeding over the Rhyd y blew grassland over the past few weeks. Willow warblers (?) in the trees alongside the ditch that runs along the east side of the main grassland area. plenty of skylarks, meadow pipits as well. heron and snipe still present as well.
butterflies - couple of dingy skipper's spotted two weeks ago along with common blue.
Bats feeding in the north west corner of the site and along the northern bund.

good to hear that Dingy Skipper are still at Rhyd y blew. Has anyone gone to see if Grasshopper Warblers are present again this year?? Not sure they were recorded in 2010 but I had 2 reeling birds in 2009. Well worth checking out on a calm evening. Snipe should also be drumming at that time of day as well.

various

In the last week or so:

Garnlydan Res. Whinchat, Common Sandpiper, Cormorant, Heron, Reed Bunting, Lapwing, Gulls, Wheatear juv tonight,

Carno Lower - Woodpecker feeding juv in tree, Crossbill 1 female and 2 juvs, Chiff Chaff, Song Thrush.

Newtown, Linnetts, Green woodie, buzzard, wren, willow warbler,

Garden...all the usual suspects and thought I had seen a juv redpoll but elsewhere on this sire confirms as adult....deffo had juv siskin in though

Cardi...quietish..only been there one or twice

Blorenge.... Whinchat, Stonechat, Yellowhammer, Mpipts, Skylarks,

Hafod - Pied Flycatchers, redstarts

...gone very quiet on this thread of late

1st time in ages I have spent any time in the garden - as well as the above got magpie, sparrow, siskin, robin & sparrowhawk visit too ! Not bad for an hour issit?

Attachments

• Garden Watch June 7th 2011 BF.jpg
    Garden Watch June 7th 2011 BF.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 38
Not bad at all Alan. A nice montage you've put together.

Though I'm not sure what "as well as the above" means;)

D

Garden feeders packed with young blue tits and great tits. Fun bit is watching them trying to land on water! Also noted was the reason why my peanuts disappear so quickly.:C

Attachments

• IMG_0777b.jpg
    IMG_0777b.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0760 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0760 (Copy).JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 36
Sat 11th / Sunday 12th June

Lots of activity this morning, stocking up because of the wet stuff I suppose. Watched a male blackbird with juv's following him abt the garden earlier...they were all soaking. Also a redpoll with no signs of colouration on the head so deffo a juvenile then. Greenfinch seem to be back in numbers too and also juvenile Goldies are about the feeders.

wet wet wet...hate it.

Btw...the lapwing is still sitting up the res. Common sandpiper on the shores yesterday and lots of Juvenile wheatears down by the waterside rocks.

Carno yesterday evening...nothing much although I did get views of Crossbill up the top end....and Dipper on the river as I got back in the car.

Checking one of my Gwent Peregrine sites yesterday had at least one fledged chick.These are about a fortnight in front of my other sites by comparison.The male was stocking up a food cache (in anticipation of this wet weather probably lol)and brought in a Blackbird and a Song Thrush within 10 minutesof each other.Thats a pretty efficient hunting by any species standards.
Some pics.The female perched up and the male bringing in a Song Thrush.

Attachments

• IMG_2124.jpg
    IMG_2124.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2032.jpg
    IMG_2032.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 45
Love that peregrine on the branch Mike, just looks so powerfull.
Lots of birds are ealy this year. The Pied Flycatchers at our colony are about 2 weeks early!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back