• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My new Canon 400m 5.6 Test shots (1 Viewer)

Mackem George

Here are a few test shots taken with my new (used) Canon 400mm 5.6 lens and a 500D body. Let me know your thoughts. Please bear in mind there wasn't too much time spent on composition etc, really just spent the time running off shots to get an idea of the quality of the lens.

Last edited:
So far so good :t:

Maybe needs a little more attention to exposure as the whites are burnt out in the Heron and GSW though the Tern looks better. Everything looks sharp enough as regards detail.

You should be able to post larger images as well. 800 or 900 pixels are a good size to work with to keep file size under 200kb with just a little jpeg compression.

Nice to see you are giving the lens a run George, It's a bit of a learning curve to get use to a new lens at first, but you will get the hang of it with a bit more practice.
There is no IS on this lens so try to keep the shutter speed at 400th sec or more if poss.

I use one of these for video and it does seem to exhibit what looks like chromatic aberration in certain conditions, namely contre jour, against the light, when the light is bright.
Not heard similar comments/complaints for stills use. I got mine to replace my 100-400 (soft above 300, certainly and notoriously in video) and as a lightweight option to my 500 Sigma F4.5 (which lovely for video except ponderous).
400 a good lens apart from in aforementioned conditions. Now use in conjunction with a 70-300L which excellent.
Large aperture lenses generally unnecessary for outside daylight video. Better "standard" video zoom lenses come with inbuilt ND filters in fact.
400 horrible for video with Canon 1.4x telecon by the way. Stills?

Ron

Okay, play away. I think you will be real impressed with shots taken up close, or fairly close. Those that you have seem a bit far away and while the shots will look good even cropped, just wait till you see what that lens does 10 meters or so.....jim

Hi guys many thanks for feedback that was 1st attempt need to keep at it,as paul indicates a new learning curve,need to watch shutter speeds. Also take on board jims feedback get them in a bit closer
Thanks again guys
George.

As people have said, keep at it - you will get better. It is a cracking lens and produces pin sharp images, I just wish it included IS as these old shakey hands need a bit of assistance these days.

Some pics in my gallery with a 400mm Lf5.6

Hi Valley Walker many thanks for responce noted your gallery great shots pin sharp,have similar set up to yours although mine 500d body,not so many features that 50d has.You seem to shoot quite close as cropping appears minimal, wondered what the secret is regarding shutter speed /iso any tips would be greatly appreciated
George

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back