• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bogey Birds (1 Viewer)

Paul Longland

Do you have one or more "Bogey " birds? You know the ones. No matter how many times you go for it they always seem to elude you? And whats worse it is usually the old "you should have been here Last week/yesterday/10 minutes ago" storey. They don't even have to be particularly rare but just the ones that got away.

I have several, some life time bogeys, others simply that I haven't seen for some time or regularly. but one of the most glaring has, until last weekend, been Snow Bunting. A lifer bogey that no many how trips to the East coast in Winter, and even twice trekking up Cairngorm in summer, both times having the mist descend to thwart me before I could connect, these delightful little birds have always eluded me.

Finally laid to rest, time to move on to the next one now. Lesser Spotted woody anyone??

Mine's the hawfinch. Snow buntings eluded me until a couple of years ago when I saw a solitary bird and, yes, they're a lovely species. Good luck with the lesser spot. Haven't seen one of those for a long time.

Mine is Kingfisher. Despite living in an area where there are plenty of them, I just can't see one, no matter what I do. On no fewer than three occasions I have whirled round to cries of "Kingfisher!" only to find that I was too late and the bird has already zipped away out of sight.

Mine's the hawfinch. Snow buntings eluded me until a couple of years ago when I saw a solitary bird and, yes, they're a lovely species. Good luck with the lesser spot. Haven't seen one of those for a long time.

If you fancy a trip to the Forest of Dean you'll find plenty of Hawfinches. Check out 'The Gloster Birder' website.

Harold.

For more than 55 years the Kingfisher had eluded me until last September when I attended an RSPB Members evening at Saltholme reserve and a member of the staff spotted a Kingfisher in her telescope and it was standing clearly on a post of which it did so for approx 10 minutes. That certainly made my day.
Ian

At least I am not the only one who has serial dips and bogeys. It certainly makes interesting reading and just goes to show that sometimes even the most common birds be elusive. I hate to admit this but I once went three whole years without clock a single redpoll. Typically having broken my duck at Middleton lakes in staffs lo and behold the very next day three turned up on the feeders in my garden! Don't you just love birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back