• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What focal length for shorebirds and waders (1 Viewer)

Hi there.
I am a newbie shopping for a first bridge camera and wondering how much focal length is usually needed for waders and shorebirds please? Most of my birdwatching is coastal, a lot from my car as I can't walk far. My main requirements would be uploading to Ebird and for id purposes, though if I could get some nice pics too I would be delighted! (My hubby assures me that I won't find 1 camera to do everything so have crossed music gig videos off my requirement list :) )
The P950 & P1000 obviously come up a lot for birders, and I was wondering if 2000/3000mm would be needed, or if i would be better going for shorter length and a larger 1" sensor, and if so would 600mm be enough?
Budget around £750
Many thanks
L

You describe not necessarily being able to get close. Under those circumstances I would go with as much reach as I could get. I would also make a habit of taking plenty of photos hoping that on one of them the air cooperated and stood still better than the others. Distance photography will always be a bit hit and miss.

Niels

I agree with Niels, in your situation reach sounds the most imprtant thing, 600mm on a 1 inch sensor is not as good as it sounds, go for the P1000 and if your in a car try a been bag on the window for support.

You describe not necessarily being able to get close. Under those circumstances I would go with as much reach as I could get. I would also make a habit of taking plenty of photos hoping that on one of them the air cooperated and stood still better than the others. Distance photography will always be a bit hit and miss.

Niels

Thanks Niels, that's very helpful :)

I agree with Niels, in your situation reach sounds the most imprtant thing, 600mm on a 1 inch sensor is not as good as it sounds, go for the P1000 and if your in a car try a been bag on the window for support.

Thanks Mike, a beanbag sounds very useful, maybe a tripod too for when I can get out the car. The weights of the p950/1000 mean I will def need support

Hi ManxShearwater

I have the Nikon P900 and have been delighted with it. I can ID birds that my bins struggle to with.

I use mine on the pre-programmed Birdwatching mode with continuous shooting. It seems to give 7 shots, but does take a few seconds to write them to the card.

You can see some of my images in my Gallery if you want to check them out: https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/18346

I'm sure the 950/1000 will be similar.

Hi ManxShearwater

I have the Nikon P900 and have been delighted with it. I can ID birds that my bins struggle to with.

I use mine on the pre-programmed Birdwatching mode with continuous shooting. It seems to give 7 shots, but does take a few seconds to write them to the card.

You can see some of my images in my Gallery if you want to check them out: https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/18346

I'm sure the 950/1000 will be similar.

They're great, thanks v much. I have taken the plunge and got a 2nd hand P1000 on eBay. I will def start on the Bird mode and see if I can develop from there :) Looking forward to it arriving :) thanks everyone for your help in making a decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back