• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler, Pennsylvania, October 20 (1 Viewer)

Agree not Orange-crowned; not sure what to make of it though - doesn't look quite right for Mourning despite the strong legs and large bill, nor Yellow either.

Pale legs and long blunt tipped beak, tail length and what can be seen of under tail color rules out Wilson’s Warbler, looks like A pretty normal Yellow Warbler in my opinion.

Pale legs and long blunt tipped beak, tail length and what can be seen of under tail color rules out Wilson’s Warbler, looks like A pretty normal Yellow Warbler in my opinion.

Reluctantly I think that gets my vote. Suggest bill colour wrong for morning warbler: my first thought was yellowthoat but it doesn't have a markedly different (more yellow) throat

I don’t believe Yellow Warblers come with flesh coloured bills?

Cheers

Well, I looked again and I have grave difficulty seeing a yellow warbler in the image. Maybe it could be a Mourning W.

Niels

Mourning is my best guess, too. With such extensive yellow below (and face as well as proportions wrong for Yellow in my opinion), that seems the best fit.

I am in the opposite camp, I can’t see mourning warbler. It doesn’t have any gray tones at all. The legs and bill do look wrong for yellow warbler, initially I admittedly looked past this on purpose because it looks wrong for anything else and I wrote it off as being a developing juvenile. In hindsight this was a bad call and not a good approach to the discussion. I don’t know what it is but do not see Mourning Warbler, not to say it isn’t one.

Last edited:
I am in the opposite camp, I can’t see mourning warbler. It doesn’t have any gray tones at all. The legs and bill do look wrong for yellow warbler, initially I admittedly looked past this on purpose because it looks wrong for anything else and I wrote it off as being a developing juvenile. In hindsight this was a bad call and not a good approach to the discussion. I don’t know what it is but do not see Mourning Warbler, not to say it isn’t one.
I can't see the image any more, but as I recall the lighting effect on the head looked really washed out, leaving it only possible to guess what the plumage on the head really looks like. It could easily be greyer in real life. Other features like the shape of the bill, leg colour etc looked more reliably captured I think.

See the picture of an immature female Mourning Warbler here. I think it looks very similar, allowing for the different light conditions:
https://nemesisbird.com/birding/bird-sightings/a-phenomenal-day-of-banding/

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back