• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bresser at Lidl (1 Viewer)

Old Blue

Hi all - I notice Lidl are selling a Bresser scope @ just under £100 next week, BaK4 prisms, 90mm lens, 25x - 75x mag.

I know you get what you pay for - but are these likely to be ok for beginners, or do people think it is money wasted on all the trimmings such as cheao tripod etc., when money could be better spent on stepping up to say £175-ish for an Olivon 80?

PS - they also have some 10x50 Bresser bins @ £12.99!

As long as the staff can advise you on technical spec and help you when you ask for a demonstration you'll be fine! On previous thread about the binos, a poster mentioned that he or she had to check out several units before they found one that wasn't out of alignment. You pay your money......
Could be bargain of the month though,

Now, how long before Warehouse Express or Kat Optics start selling cheap brockwurst?

Hi all - I notice Lidl are selling a Bresser scope @ just under £100 next week, BaK4 prisms, 90mm lens, 25x - 75x mag.

I know you get what you pay for - but are these likely to be ok for beginners, or do people think it is money wasted on all the trimmings such as cheao tripod etc., when money could be better spent on stepping up to say £175-ish for an Olivon 80?

PS - they also have some 10x50 Bresser bins @ £12.99!
They were selling the same scope a few months ago at a newly opened store in my town for £49.99. Must say I was tempted.

i did see these spotting scopes last year at lidl's and really wanted one. i went up quite early to get one so i wouldnt "miss out" on the bargian of the year. opened one up in store and almost had a gag reflex.... awful cheap plastic uber mass produced poor quality with the narrowest fov i'v ever seen. needless to say i didnt buy one. i did pick up a pair of the bresser 10x50's though. just my opinion though
i think if you want a cheap scope the celestron ultima might be a better choice either the 65mm £99 or the 80mm £140

regards mark

Last edited:
Hi

Yes I agree with Mark, Money better spent on the Celestron Ultima, these are the same ones as the 'Acuter' range sold by Optical Vision and are made by Synta. Good quality at low prices and much better tham the Bresser.

Steve

Thanks for your valued advice everyone. Having looked at the Celestron line up, I see the waterproofed C90 Matsukov (mirror lens) offers huge focal length for less than £200, but then we get into issues of pros & cons of this type of scope - as far as I can gather the main cons being poor in low light and only for longer distance?

Thanks again everyone.

I think cheap reflecting scopes will not stand up to very many years of use. Some slightly better reflectors are portable and pretty light.

Thanks for your valued advice everyone. Having looked at the Celestron line up, I see the waterproofed C90 Matsukov (mirror lens) offers huge focal length for less than £200, but then we get into issues of pros & cons of this type of scope - as far as I can gather the main cons being poor in low light and only for longer distance?

Thanks again everyone.

Pros: no CA from the optics (except the EP). Sharp.

Cons: long focal length == high magnification for any reasonable EP so "close in" is not an option; narrow FOV. Donut shaped exit pupil (usually only a problem at low magnification (if you can find a long enough EP ;) )

So they're best at long range and in fact a Mak is a good part of the arsenal if you are heading some place you need a good long view (i.e. not much mirage and birds a along way away ... i.e. especially over cool seawater).

But the view/price can be excellent given the smaller FOV.

Not sure why Tero things they will crap out in a couple of years (have you used one?) but they're pretty well built and actually waterproof these days unlike the olden days of being just an repurposed astro scope.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back