• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New review of Leica Trinovid 10x42 HD by Roger Vine (1 Viewer)

Thanks John for the heads up, additional thanks for the Nikon LX/EDG cut-away figures in the other Leica post.

Andy W.

Nice to see that Leica has given up the bizarre action-vest-thingy and gone to a more normal case, although it makes no sense to speak of "mid-price cost-cutting" when even alpha binoculars come in cheap cordura.

Does the shallower depth of field noted indicate that these Trinovids have a different focal ratio, and why would Leica have chosen that?

The resemblances he keeps claiming to the construction of the Noctivid are quite silly. Apparently Roger just likes Leica styling. (As do I, and Tobias Mennle and many others)

And what could his basis be for the bold assertion that these HDs are "still European-made" like other "premium[?] German binos"? (The entirely different-color lens coatings from other Leicas are only one obvious clue here)

P.S....What is it that makes recent Leica armor such a dust magnet? Otherwise it's very nice. My 10x32 UVHD+ is like that too.

Last edited:
P.S....What is it that makes recent Leica armor such a dust magnet? Otherwise it's very nice. My 10x32 UVHD+ is like that too.

Just an observation about this. The armour on different Leica models is not the same. I have the older Trinovid model (2012-15), an Ultravid, and a NV. The one with the best feel/texture is the NV IMO followed by the older Trinny. The UV feels very sticky by comparison. The older Trinovid is the least 'sticky', and the NV seems to find the best combination of grip and smooth feel without being sticky.

When I saw the Trinovid HD I thought that the rubber armour looked cheaper and had a less good feel than any of the others. In fact I think you can see that it looks to be of a lesser quality even in the photos in the review, given that they are good photos.
I also agree with your comments on it's likely origin.

When I saw the Trinovid HD I thought that the rubber armour looked cheaper and had a less good feel than any of the others. .....

Rubber armour seems to be a matter of luck anyway. On some (not all!) of my Leicas, the surface gets constantly covered with a wide powedery substance (from the rubber I guess) which I wipe off where I can, and where I can't next to the focus wheel, it looks odd (see pic my Trinovid 8x42 HD). Some of the UVs have that too, but not all, and so does the Geovid.

Btw, the same is true for some of my Zeiss binos, esp. the Conquest HDs.

Nothing serious, of course, just not to my liking.

Doesn't happen on the Retrovids, though ;)

Canip

Attachments

• IMG_3870-1.jpg
    IMG_3870-1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Rubber armour seems to be a matter of luck anyway. On some (not all!) of my Leicas, the surface gets constantly covered with a wide powedery substance (from the rubber I guess) which I wipe off where I can, and where I can't next to the focus wheel, it looks odd (see pic my Trinovid 8x42 HD). Some of the UVs have that too, but not all, and so does the Geovid.

Btw, the same is true for some of my Zeiss binos, esp. the Conquest HDs.

Canip

Hello,

I have also experienced the rubber armour problem with my Swarovski 8 x 25 CL , the rubber armour became sticky and also had the white residue , I seem to have stopped this , (at least temporarily) , by thorough cleaning with lighter fluid and then rubbing talcum powder into the rubber , not the best solution , but if the need drives---------.

My Leica UVHD+ does not have this problem so far (touch wood).

Cheers.

Rubber armour seems to be a matter of luck anyway. On some (not all!) of my Leicas, the surface gets constantly covered with a wide powedery substance (from the rubber I guess) which I wipe off where I can, and where ...

Canip

Does that mean that you purchaised a Retrovid and we can expet a review? ;)

Thomas

Rubber armour seems to be a matter of luck anyway. On some (not all!) of my Leicas, the surface gets constantly covered with a wide powedery substance (from the rubber I guess) which I wipe off where I can

Canip

Canip

I used to work in a rubber industry and for some applications our rubbers had a small quantity of wax included in the compound. This might be your mystery powder which I think you may have meant to describe as 'white' not 'wide'.

The wax migrated to the surface of the rubber and provided a surface protection and sometimes this dried and looked like a white-ish powder.

I haven't seen this on binoculars so I may be wrong but your description really reminded me of what I have seen in my old job.

Lee

In the 10x42HD article, the author states, "High eye-point binoculars often come with a problem – kidney bean blackouts (spherical aberration of the exit pupil) when you change eye position."
What does the term "High eye-point binoculars" mean?

The Fujinon 14x40 had an almost totally white covering. Maybe worse from heavy sea use.

The Minolta AF 5000 and AF 7000 Cameras, the first production autofocus SLRS seem to all be covered in white on the black rubber.
There are many other cameras and binoculars with this problem.
I don't think this is harmful. They only look bad.

B.

In the 10x42HD article, the author states, "High eye-point binoculars often come with a problem – kidney bean blackouts (spherical aberration of the exit pupil) when you change eye position."
What does the term "High eye-point binoculars" mean?

Foss this refers to binos with eye relief sufficient for a spectacle wearer to use the binos while still wearing his/her glasses. Often German binos would signify this by including B (standing for brille or glasses) in the model name. These models need folding or adjustable eyecups to enable use by wearers of glasses.

So a Zeiss Dialyt BGAT* means: B for Brille, GA for rubber armour (German for rubber is Gummi) and T* stands for the lens coatings.

Lee

Thanks Robert for the heads up!

I always enjoy Roger's reviews and he has a very nice website. Very well written reviews with lots of great info, specs, and pertinent photos. I like the way he presents a binocular's case for both the birder and the astronomer. Roger's reviews and House of Outdoors data is about all I need to research a binocular.

I agree that the the Trinovid HD is a very nice binocular. I guess I've had mine pretty much since they came out. Other than a sometimes drifting diopter adjustment it's been completely problem free. Focus adjustment is about as good as it gets with zero slack to this day. I AM glad they are now offering it with a true binocular case! Mine came from Cabelas's.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back