• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Siberian Stonechat in eclipse or another bird? (1 Viewer)

Otarujef

Master Blurry Bird Phototaker
Supporter
Japan
Yoichi River, Yoichi Hokkaido, Japan
Oct. 30, 2019. 2:00 pm.

Hi!
molting is a new round for me here in Japan.
Not sure if this Stonechat is eclipsing,
or a different bird I am not seeing the ID on.
help well appreciated! :)

Thanks! Jeff :D

Attachments

• st3.jpg
    st3.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 27
  • st2.jpg
    st2.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 9
  • st1.jpg
    st1.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 31
added ID photo

added extra photo for the ID,
as wasn't available in edit mode. :)
Jeff

Attachments

• st4.jpg
    st4.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 10
Definitely a Stonechat. The word eclipse when applied to avifauna, usually applies to male ducks, rather than passerines ( perching birds ) from my understanding of the term.

The term eclipse is most often heard in relation to ducks, but also applies to a few other species such as sunbirds. It refers to a period when males moult from their bright breeding plumage into a more cryptic female-like plumage, usually for only a short period.

Stonechats don't have an eclipse plumage. This bird is a freshly-moulted male with paler tips to the feathers - over time these paler tips will wear away to reveal the brighter plumage beneath (the bright plumage appears by wear not from a body moult, so this would not count as an eclipse plumage).

Valéry, PYRTLE, johnallcock,

Thank you so very much for the confirmation! :)
As well, i learned several new, fasinating things I didnt know before!

:thumbs up:

Jeff :D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back