• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small peep. Pakarang, Thailand (1 Viewer)

alanc

Just an earthbound misfit
England
this guy at Cape Pakarang last week.
help appreciated

thanks
alan

Attachments

• DSC_0607.JPG
    DSC_0607.JPG
    964.3 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC_0609.JPG
    DSC_0609.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0611.JPG
    DSC_0611.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
Am thinking Little Stint, dark legs rule out Temminck’s and Red-necked should be more contrasty to the back.

Cheers

red-necked for me. what so you mean by more contrasty, ken?

RNS and LS are very similar as you know Lou, although not familiar with (Red-necked), albeit Little Stint having been seen more often during the Autumn period, where I've found them to be generally more contrasty, showing obvious braces, which this bird appears to show albeit not so contrasty.

To be honest had the bird sported pale legs (with it's attenuation) I'd have opted for Temminck's, what are your reasons for Red-necked?

In winter the plumage of Red-necked and Little are extremely similar. The best way to separate these is structure, and it helps to be familiar with them. For me, this bird has the short legs and short, stout bill typical of Red-necked. Little is slightly longer-legged, with a longer, fine-tipped bill.

As Andy says, Red-necked is also the more likely of the two species in Thailand.

Thanks everyone.
There were quite a few similar birds on the mudflats at Pakarang, many having slight variations in plumage,
From the comments here I guess its fairly safe to assume that all those with black or dark grey legs are RNS

cheers alan

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back