• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High death toll of birds of prey (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

Its interesting that the RSPB specifically mention eagles in this press release.I tmakes you wonder whether they have been looking at potential nesting areas for Golden Eagles in England and if this species restricted distribution (to scotland) is due to persecution in orthern England rather than a reluctance to come south of the border. I do hope they have done some research otherwise and off the cuff remark like that is somewhat misleading. I think Peregrines and Hen Harriers kinda goes without saying.

Not if you listen to the guy representing the gamekeepers on Radio 5 Live this morning. He questioned whether the data is there to support these allegations. And apparently gamekeepers don't shoot Hen Harriers but they do want to move them from areas of high density to other areas - seriously, that's what he said!

Its a shame the RSPB man (Mark Avery) couldn't say more on the subject and perhaps come up with some interesting facts about Hen Harriers disappearing from watched nests.

I keep thinking its time for some real action by birderss ...

I think Peregrines and Hen Harriers kinda goes without saying.

Its interesting that the RSPB specifically mention eagles in this press release.I tmakes you wonder whether they have been looking at potential nesting areas for Golden Eagles in England and if this species restricted distribution (to scotland) is due to persecution in orthern England rather than a reluctance to come south of the border. I do hope they have done some research otherwise and off the cuff remark like that is somewhat misleading. I think Peregrines and Hen Harriers kinda goes without saying.

Considering most of our raptors are on the increase, it does seem like a misleading statement. On the Eagle issue, I have seen a male G Eagle in 4 separate areas of the Lakes this winter. Bow Fell, Langdale, Ennerdale and Helvellyn. I guess its lack of females as opposed to persecution that stops him mating. If it's the same bird, he's on the prowl, just having no luck!!:C

Considering most of our raptors are on the increase, it does seem like a misleading statement.

What does? The suggestion that the North Yorks Moors and the Yorkshire Dales are areas where high numbers of birds of prey are being illegally killed? Add in Northumberland and the Borders and I think you'll find that throughout much of Northern England/Southern Scotland raptor persecution is widespread. The one raptor showing a substantial increase in population is Common Buzzard yet, although it now breeds right up to the east coast in Northumberland, there are inland areas of suitable habitat and abundant food that are almost devoid of the species.

martin

The only surprise to me about a high death toll in these areas is that there are any significant numbers left to kill. I go out to the moors both north and south of here quite regularly and very rarely see any birds of prey. It's only when visiting some parts of Lancs, or Scotland or North Wales that I get to see what should be present but just isn't.

Graham

The only surprise to me about a high death toll in these areas is that there are any significant numbers left to kill. I go out to the moors both north and south of here quite regularly and very rarely see any birds of prey. It's only when visiting some parts of Lancs, or Scotland or North Wales that I get to see what should be present but just isn't.

Graham

Couldn't agree more Graham. Even the 'raptor watchpoint' at Barden gets few raptors considering the location. I have spent 16 biridng days on the yorks moors in the past year with the net result of 3 buzzard, 1 red kite and 1 hen harrier. I thnk the harrier was just passing through too.

I have been able to get some good grouse pics though.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back