• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any good tips on stalking? (1 Viewer)

Gill Osborne said:
I'm not a photographer but I've often had birds and mammals such as deer and foxes come real close, about ten feet or so, to me by finding a comfortable spot (often at the base of a tree or a hedge/wall) and just sitting quietly and seeing what turns up! In one wood a few years ago I was sitting at the base of a beech tree and after half an hour or so of being perfectly still and keeping any head movements to an absolute minimum a Roe Deer buck wandered along the trail and passed by within just feet of me! I hardly dared breath for fear of him realising I was there! It is still one of the most magical experiences I have ever had!
Last year at the end of April, whilst sitting on a grassy bank overlooking the sea I had a Weasel pass by and sit upright and look towards me when I squeeked at him! First weasel I'd ever seen as well...another memorable moment!
I'm off badger watching in three weeks time...can't wait...and that'll involve sitting silently for a few hours. But I'm sure it'll be worth it!

GILL

Hi Gill,
I had a similar experience with a Roe deer whilst on holiday last summer but I was wearing camo gear at the time!

I tried the same thing with badgers but I didn't see one all week despite being out after dark. I'm sure that I heard them underground though, literally under my bum as I sat waiting!

Woody

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back