• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late/Wintering Garden Warblers. UK. (1 Viewer)

Paul Higson

On Orkney there is a Garden Warbler feeding on apples put out for Waxwings.

Would be interested to hear of any previous wintering records in the UK - certainly not happened up here before.

Would be interested to hear of any previous wintering records in the UK - certainly not happened up here before.

Not got any actual examples, though I'm sure I could find some if it wasn't so late (I write the Warbler section for London Bird Report, so have noticed). However, Sylvia's in general seem to be attempting to winter more often. Blackcap the obvious example, not that many decades since that would have been considered unusual. More and more Lesser Whitethroats, occasional Whitethroat and Garden Warbler, even Barred and Sardinian have tried it. I suspect it will gather pace in the coming years.

Presumably an 'Eastern' Garden Warbler? (They do go quite a long way into Central Asia).

If not been done yet someone really needs to do a proper paper/analysis/book on overwintering 'summer' passerines in W Europe ...

Know nothing regarding Sylvia borin, however....a putative fuscus type Reed Warbler (along with 2 Common Whitethroats) Wintered at a roundabout (Leytonstone, NE London) certainly all three present, up till mid-late December 2015!

Cheers

Last edited:
In the West Midland region late records include 19th November (1992, Sutton Coldfield) and 22nd November (1975, Acton). Due to its geography would it be safe(ish) to assume these are lingering breeding birds rather than late autumnal migrants?

Last edited:
About four of five years ago, a winter Garden Warbler was found in subzero snowy Vilnius - which given the climate here makes the Orkneys positively tropical for a wintering Slyvia ...did it have sunglasses on?

Many thanks to all for your comments - much appreciated.

It's strange, but I often don't think that birds we get here, such as this, could be from way out east and aren't "local".

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back