• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wildlife in the garden (1 Viewer)

rootsman

i was wondering what wildlife in general people had in their garden as apart from birds and basic everyday insects the only other wildlife ive seen are bats at dusk.

i am thinking more ammels and exotic insects that people may have had in the garden

ive not even had an hedgehog which is something i saw loads of when i lived up north

I have Grey Squirrels and Frogs permanently and have also had Fox, Toad, Smooth Newt, Brown Rat, Hedgehog, Pipestrelle Bat, Wood Mouse, Slow Worm and Humming-Bird Hawkmoth.

Steve

I have Grey Squirrels and Frogs permanently and have also had Fox, Toad, Smooth Newt, Brown Rat, Hedgehog, Pipestrelle Bat, Wood Mouse, Slow Worm and Humming-Bird Hawkmoth.

Steve

your lucky

ive had none of that but the thing is there is a fence at the back of my house and i cant see anything getting in like hedgehogs,foxes etc.

Similar to bb but with a few more - I have seen slo worms, grass snakes, vipers, hedgehogs, foxes, a badger (once), field mice, voles, rats, frogs, toads, rabbits, grey tree rats (OK, squirrels, but they ain't :), bats (never ID'd properly, but poss pipistrelle).

A whole slew of insects and other stuff, some of which included - various butterflies and moths (also inc hummingbird hawk moth), hornets, bees, wasps, beetles, several different ants...

Blimey, reading that lot back was a shock, I never actually realised exactly how lucky I am here!!

almost the same thing here, different species I imagine, but lots of Butterflies, Carpenter Bees, Wasps, Honey Bees, Spiders, Dragon Flies, Hummingbird Moths,

Garden Snake (one bit me last year)

Also the occasional Possum (catch and release somewhere else),
Racoons (catch and take to animal shelter)
at least 4 Squirrels
and my neighbor's cat (i usually let the dog out)

That's not all , but its what I see every day

Gunter

Heres my list,

Roe deer, badgers, foxes, stoats, weasels, rats, mice, bank voles. Usual garden birds plus Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Barn Owl Tawny Owl, Wild turkey, ( I don’t know if they escaped from somewhere but had a few around for 3 months or so) Frogs, toads, Bats. We consider ourselves really lucky. Having all these around rekindled my interest in photography, trying to get good shots of them all that’s the difficult bit

A Frog takes a tour of our garden most evenings at this time of year - apart from that the occasional hedgehog and a mouse or two. Longish periods of settled weather bring out the dagonflies. (not bad for urban Leamington Spa)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back