• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brought the 'old' 8x43 Elites (1 Viewer)

Looking at to buy a 8x42 good quality roof prism at my local optics dealer who had some Bushnells models discounted.
I looked at 3 binos - 1/ Bushnell 8x43 Elite [The 'older' 2007 Japanese split bridge version - 62-4208 ] 2/ Legend Ultra HD 8x42 and the Elite E2 8x42's. [which are now discontinued].
After 2 hours of outdoor viewing I walked away with the older Japanese Elites.
Multiple reasons really - mainly to do with ergonomics and optical and build quality.
I had some major issues with blackouts with the Ultras and whilst the optics esp. the FOV was good I just could not use it comfortably. With the E2'S it just did not have the optical quality of the above two and the 6.3 degree FOV felt restrictive.
The Elites have 7.1 degree FOV with minimal distortions, there is mild curvature of field from about 80% but it is very usable. CA is well controlled - the HDs with the ED glass did it incrementally better, but under general use this was not noticeable. The Elites were just very comfortable and easy to hold with less eyestrain.
Brief resolution testing and color fidelity came out about equal with the Ultras and Elites.
There was a general quality feel to the Elites which I did not get with the Legend HD's and I preferred the overall warm and more compelling '3D' image of the Elites.
Ultimately the Elites optical and build quality esp. the ergonomics easily won the day.
The good news is that I brought the Elites at the same price as the Ultra HD's [as it was 'old stock'] which is a major savings.;) as they would normally be over twice the price.
I know others opinion will differ but if you can pick up a pair of the old Elites esp. if discounted you will be buying quality.

Chris

Last edited:
Just to clarify the version I got was the 'pre-face lift' Bushnell Elite 2004 - 2007 model [62-4208]. This has the smooth armour covering and pull up eyepices. These earlier versions of the Elite binoculars still came with the dialectic / XTR Technology, rainguard coatings, phase corrected PC3 prisms and the lightweight 23 oz. Magnesium body. The later 2008-2010 [now discontinued] versions [63-0843] made cosmetic changes with twist up eyecups and a more textured body armour. They were boxed and brand new - he never sold them due to there initial expense which was almost in Leica Trinovid territory- I guess people were not inspired by the 'Bushnell' tag - which is a shame as while they certainly are not 'Alpha' binos they are not that far behind.

Chris

Last edited:
I tried the 10x43 version about 6 mo ago, and can say that if I wasn't already "stocked up" on 10x (or if I didn't have any 10's at all), that Elite would have left the shop with me, after I'd left $699 with them. I was impressed, and for a jaded optiholic, that's a strong kudo.

Yes, the one obvious problem with the 8x Ultras is the balckouts. I learned to deal with it, but one really should not have to. I have about six other pairs where no special adjustment to eyes is needed. Jus bring them to the eyes and look. Including the 10x Ultras.

The Bushnell Elite from this era do have rather long ER for the eyecups (for an eyeglasses wearer) but "aftermarket" O-rings let you set the eyecup position.

The eyecups also will (sorta) stay in position on their own too but the O-rings are more reliable.

I recently swapped my 8x43 for a 10x43 (via BF) and both of us ended up happier with the other version. They are nice bins and fit better in my collection than the 8x.

It's a shame Bushnell didn't take the next step with a newer EP design (e.g. LaK elements for less lateral CA like the Ultra HD and wider field of view) and ED objectives for less longitudinal CA. But they didn't.

Chris, I concur with your views ....

I just bought some of these just because I love quality binoculars and I love a bargain and at half RRP .... Well it was just simply too good to pass.

These bins have proved so good, I have sold my backup/walking pair of binoculars - Zeiss Fl 8x32's ... Because 1. Bushnells are lighter. 2.Bushnells are brighter 3.lower value so less worried about leaving in car.

More importantly, I also sold my primary pair of Swaro EL 10's and used the extra money to buy the new Swaro EL 10's - my goodness

One additional point on the Bushnell elite, I think they are the best looking bin I have ever seen.

I'm sat here watching world cup, with both new bins by my side (wife and kids out ;-) ) and to be totally honest, the Elites just look so great and more 'special' than the EL's.

Bob

Last edited:
One word of caution, I remember these bins coming out and good reviews, but when I went to buy some, I found they were not so wonderful and they were definitely produce in China!

Focus optics confirmed this upon my purchase of these elites and said that they had moved production to Japan sometime in their life cycle.

For these open-bridge Elites the country of manufacture (Japan is the only one I've seen) is on the model/serial number plate under one of the barrels so it's very easy to check.

The problem with Bushnell is they've been mangling their trademarks so now there are several "Elites" some of which are made in China.

Umm...with the 'open bridge' Bushnell Elites from 2004 - 2010 [62-4208 and the 63-0843 from 2007] these do all appear to be Japanese made. I am 99.9% sure.
Every one I have seen has been and this was also confirmed when I did a literature review for my 'mini review' above.
The new non split bridge Elite ED's are also japanese sourced.
'Captain vallo ' are you sure they were split bridge Elites and not the Elite E2's. ?
It could be the final run versions -2007-2010 - with the twist eyecups may have moved to China but I have seen nothing to confirm this and I strongly doubt it.
[But I may be wrong - as my wife often tells me ! ]

Chris

Last edited:
The 10x43 Elite I examined several mo ago was the latest model, split bridge, Japanese mfd. And to reiterate, one of the absolute best 10x I've ever peered thru...and I've owned/tried out almost every hi-grade glass on the market, past & present, except Leicas.

Apparently the E2 series is Chinese, and is not up to the stds of the regular Elite.

I may be wrong about chinese origin then.

All I can remember clearly is that I really wanted to buy these bins when they first came out but was really dissapointed in them on the day.

Whilst I can remember them being made in China, it is probable, based on comments here that I just tried so many bins that day that my memory is as blurred as a cheap pair of Tasco's.

Whatever the case, even at full RRP these outgoing elites represent good value, but at the price I got them, I am one very happy birder .... shame I will only use them when I dont have the swarovisions.

I may be wrong about chinese origin then.

All I can remember clearly is that I really wanted to buy these bins when they first came out but was really dissapointed in them on the day.

Whilst I can remember them being made in China, it is probable, based on comments here that I just tried so many bins that day that my memory is as blurred as a cheap pair of Tasco's.

Whatever the case, even at full RRP these outgoing elites represent good value, but at the price I got them, I am one very happy birder .... shame I will only use them when I dont have the swarovisions.

You are wrong. Elite's are Japanese made, and are fantastic binos. Very much underrated. In fact, if they still wore the Bausch & Lomb logo even the euro loving crowd would admit they're great. Instead, people tend to bash them because they wear a Bushnell logo. People are strange when it comes to the insignia on the glass. If you were able to remove the logos on binocs and then do the testing I guarantee some, if not most people would come to different conclusions than what their preconceived, brand bias allows them.

Chris, I concur with your views ....

I just bought some of these just because I love quality binoculars and I love a bargain and at half RRP .... Well it was just simply too good to pass.

These bins have proved so good, I have sold my backup/walking pair of binoculars - Zeiss Fl 8x32's ... Because 1. Bushnells are lighter. 2.Bushnells are brighter 3.lower value so less worried about leaving in car.

More importantly, I also sold my primary pair of Swaro EL 10's and used the extra money to buy the new Swaro EL 10's - my goodness

One additional point on the Bushnell elite, I think they are the best looking bin I have ever seen.

I'm sat here watching world cup, with both new bins by my side (wife and kids out ;-) ) and to be totally honest, the Elites just look so great and more 'special' than the EL's.

Bob

Hi there

I am looking to buy myself a good pair of binoculars and like the look of the Elites. May I ask you where you managed to get your bargain buy?

You are wrong. Elite's are Japanese made, and are fantastic binos. Very much underrated. In fact, if they still wore the Bausch & Lomb logo even the euro loving crowd would admit they're great. Instead, people tend to bash them because they wear a Bushnell logo. People are strange when it comes to the insignia on the glass. If you were able to remove the logos on binocs and then do the testing I guarantee some, if not most people would come to different conclusions than what their preconceived, brand bias allows them.

JG:
I would agree with you here. A quality Japanese made model like these is
a step up on many of the Chinese look-a-likes that are now on the market.
The difference is apparent the minute you handle them. There is much more
to a binocular than a quick view. Some of the differences are in the armor, the quality of the focuser, the eyecups.
It would seem, in most cases you do get what you pay for.

Last edited:

You make a good point that has been touched upon before in other threads, namely that the badge "Bausch & Lomb" carries more prestige and an expectation of "quality" than "Bushnell," which is better known for its lower end lines of optics.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't Bushnell make B & L bins all along, but just licensed the B & L label precisely for that reason? That is, the B & L was Bushnell's top of the line optics, because B & L was well known for its quality eyeglasses and contact lenses.

I think a lot of people were wondering when Bushnell dropped that brand name if the bins that previously carried the B & L label were still going to be as good quality, or if they were all going to be outsourced to China.

Bushnell probably struggled with this image problem, though I'm not sure if that's why Elites were selling for hundreds of dollars less a couple years ago or if that had more to do with the economy.

Could you imagine if Tasco came out with a high quality line of optics? That would be a tough sell, though I'm sure as more and more people got them in their hands and good reviews followed that the attitude toward optics labeled "Tasco" would eventually change, but the stigma would take time to overcome.

Back in the 60s and 70s, Tasco imported some good quality optics from Japan - bins and scopes. But then the company decided to sell department store quality optics and so the brand has become synonymous with "junk".

That is the way I understand it brock, in that Bushnell made the B&L Elites all along. I believe B&L got into this anti-gun/anti-hunting thing and made the decision to disassociate themselves with anything resembling such, so they just rebadged under the Bushnell logo. That's too bad about the misconception because it really is great glass. On the other hand I can understand these misconceptions for the reasons you explained very accurately. I've use the Elite binos and riflescopes and they are very, very good.

I think a lot of people were wondering when Bushnell dropped that brand name if the bins that previously carried the B & L label were still going to be as good quality, or if they were all going to be outsourced to China.

I don't think Bushnell has ever had its own manufacturing capability. My impression is that it designs its own bins but that they are manufactured by the major optics makers in Japan, and now China. I wonder too if designs are sometimes a joint effort between Bushnell and the manufacturer because its designs have been quite heterogeneous (little consistency; no "signature" aspects of optics, styling, ergonomics, etc).

--AP

I don't think Bushnell has ever had its own manufacturing capability. My impression is that it designs its own bins but that they are manufactured by the major optics makers in Japan, and now China. I wonder too if designs are sometimes a joint effort between Bushnell and the manufacturer because its designs have been quite heterogeneous (little consistency; no "signature" aspects of optics, styling, ergonomics, etc).

--AP

True enough, and you can say that about lots of different glass. Ever looked at a Kowa Genesis and Leupold GR HD side by side???????

True enough, and you can say that about lots of different glass. Ever looked at a Kowa Genesis and Leupold GR HD side by side???????

That might be a case of convergent evolution rather than common ancestry.

Though in that case I'd guess (but can't prove) that the Kowa design is all Kowa and the Leupold design is either all Leupold or Leupold a Japanese OEM (probaly the former). And for Leupold GR aren't the enclosures Made in USA with assemble in the USA with Japanese glass components?

But with Bushnell I think their original business model was to use the Japanese as OEMs to make good bins cheaper than the USA. They were rather ahead of their time. Now a lot of their design is from the OEMs too, I suspect.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back