• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Being 'Stealthy' (1 Viewer)

nigelblake

don't re member
Other than camouflage it is important to remember that anything that is likely to startle a bird will!, so it is vital that if you wish to get close to your subject you do not have noisy clothing, many waterproof jackets can make quite loud rustling sounds, avoid these like the plague. also things like watches will reflect light and one little glint can ruin your chance of a picture, same go's for spectacles, I have started using contact lenses when taking pictures, as it makes focusing manually lots easier, but more importantly they do not reflect light at the wrong moment, or get droped and the movement you might have to make when taking them off to look through the camera is no longer necessary.

Another thing too, turn that Mobile phone off, 'cos just like dog walkers and joggers, they make their presence know at the least appropriate time.

Nigel

Just to add to that, and I know this is rather obvious but I continually see birdwatchers doing it, is to become as small as possible. Remember, you are bigger than Goliath to a bird, which is initimidating all in itself. Be ready to get down and dirty!

Thank you very much for that Kevin. I knew your expensive training in the Royal Marines would come in handy one day! Seriously, that's very good advice..........

Just to add on a little -- if I'm going into the brush, I try and wear clothes that tend to blend with the area. Khakis are appropriate in many places.

There are contradictions to this, I read somewhere (probably a Bill Oddie book) that a guide carried a Ghettoblaster and stood in front of some small trees in the jungle and blared out some Heavy Metal and sure enough, the bird they wanted popped out to see what the commotion was!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back