• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mid Missouri vireo? Sept 21 (1 Viewer)

Pearsonn

spotted a large flock of mixed warblers outside of Columbia, MO but stuck on IDing this one

Attachments

• unk vireo.jpg
    unk vireo.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 62
Strong facial pattern suggests Blackpoll Warbler, but that usually shows obvious orange-yellow feet, whereas Bay-breasted normally shows dark feet. Leaning towards Blackpoll but do you have any more shots from different angles?

Stu

Idk, I would have to lean towards bay-breasted. I think they’re typically brighter than blackpoll (I’ve definitely never seen a blackpoll this bright, but have seen bay breasted this bright) plus you can see some suggestion of pink flanks.

I'm seeing a bit of reddish color on the flanks, and what I can see of the feet and legs are dark; both features point to Bay-breasted.

Ebird has about 2 or 3 locations in Missouri that have ever reported Blackpoll in September, all in the eastern part of the state. There are two September records of Blackpoll from Kansas, a 1984 record in eastern Kansas south of Kansas City, and a 2005 record from the far western part of the state. eta#2: There are many September records of Bay-breasted from Missouri.

Do you have any more photos, Pearsonn?

Last edited:
For the reasons you've posted (Tom, Microtus and Birdmeister). It has to be Bay-breasted I guess, that would explain the dark feet at least...

Very useful insight for me.

Stu

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back