• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8X42s (1 Viewer)

dries1

Just thought I would through in a pic of some premium glass, with the NL in comparison in size. The Nikon HG/LX (I obtained from Infocus after a long search - the joke with them was the box had more use than the bino (which was mint/new), they were great people to deal with. I love the views with this glass, likely made before 2000.
The NL represents a new era alright in 2020, the biggest stand out is the FOV, ergonomically it took a bit to get used to the shape compared to holding onto small diameter tubes with other glass.

Is it that much ahead besides the FOV and shape compared to the others, NV, EDG, SV 8.5. IMO no, but the FOV is noticeable. If you have an SF 8X42 the difference in FOV is not great, my friends have one, we interchange glass when out in the field. So if you have the SF 8X42 there is no real need to go for the NL unless that additional FOV is important.

For me the only other glass I had with the FOV which was comparable was the 8X30 EII, and the 8X32 BDII from Kowa, however not going to compare the views with those. Porros provide that special stereoscopic view that a roof cannot generate.

The NL is a nice glass, and as time goes on I know I will find myself using it more often. It has peaked my interest in the NL 10X42.

P.S. I still use a Leica BA 8X42 and 10X50, including the Zeiss Porro 8X30B from the 60s, which to me provide some excellent views; and while there has been an evolution of glass in the last 20 years, I still really like the leaded glass from the 90s for those days to get the led out.

Andy W.

Attachments

• Premium 8X42s editedbf.JPG
    Premium 8X42s editedbf.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 204
Nice photo. Just based on aesthetics I like the Noctivid the best in that group.
It looks refined. Then the EL a close second.

Beth,

The EL at 0.5X more is noticed by me and is still always the one to carry when weight is not a serious issue, and I can take only one.

Andy W.

Beth,

The EL at 0.5X more is noticed by me and is still always the one to carry when weight is not a serious issue, and I can take only one.

Andy W.

That's a good choice and at least you know which one serves you the best :t:

Torview,

The EDG is shorter but the tubes are wide with the armor. The UV 8X42 still wins for the smallest size in premium glass.

Andy W.

Nice photo and collection, Andy. A 8x42 is pretty hard to beat overall if you don't mind the weight. You have a bunch of excellent 8x42's there to choose from. I think the Nikon HG/LX on the end for some reason looks the biggest of the bunch. It is probably the heaviest also but as you say those leaded glass binoculars had something about the view that was special. The Nikon HG's are still competitive with modern glass and their build quality was amazing.

The Nikon HG/LX (I obtained from Infocus after a long search - the joke with them was the box had more use than the bino (which was mint/new), they were great people to deal with. I love the views with this glass, likely made before 2000.

Interesting you should say that. I've got several 8x30s/8x32s, and the Nikon HGL (mine is a bit younger than yours) is my favourite 8x32 roof. Very good optics, very relaxing view. The only downsides are the weight and the very fast focuser - but than it's the smoothest focuser of all my 8x30s/8x32s.

BTW, I also still have my Leica 8x32 BA, dating back to 1993. Is it still good enough for serious birding? Sure. In fact, I could still use this as my main binocular no problem. Not sure I'd be happy with my Zeiss 8x30 B porro for serious stuff. The difference in contrast is a bit large compared to modern binoculars.

Hermann

Hermann.

The Zeiss 8X30 on any excursion is a bit of nostalgia, however the resolution which Zeiss is known for today exists in those from 1968. The FOV is not too bad either.

Andy W.

Dennis,

The HG/LX 8X42 weighs a whopping 980 grams, the 10X42 HG/LX is about the same. they really had to reduce the frame for the lighter HG L model which weighs about 800 grams. The HG L 8X42 (listed at 800 grams) feels lighter than the NL 8X42, which for some will be too heavy.

Andy W.

Dennis,

The HG/LX 8X42 weighs a whopping 980 grams, the 10X42 HG/LX is about the same. they really had to reduce the frame for the lighter HG L model which weighs about 800 grams. The HG L 8X42 (listed at 800 grams) feels lighter than the NL 8X42, which for some will be too heavy.

Andy W.
Wow! 35 oz. is heavy for a 8x42. I had some HG L's, and they were not too bad as far as weight. I can tolerate the NL 8x42 because it seems to be balanced pretty good and because of the slimmer tubes it feels like a smaller binocular even though the weight is still there.

Andy, Thanks for the brief comparative assessment of the NL with your collection of other worthy binoculars. Good, reliable, well performing instruments that one is familiar with provide a meaningful measure of value and function for a new binocular, not only for yourself, but the rest of us. I hope you enjoy your new NL, along with the other binoculars, and look forward to more of your impressions further down the road.

-Bill

Nice pic and assessment Andy!

Love the green Noctivid. I wish I had waited a little longer and got one myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back